What a day it has been for IBF World Junior Bantamweight Champion Jerwin Ancajas.
On a day that saw him make courtesy calls to President Rodrigo Duterte and Senator Manny Pacquiao, Top Rank Promotions chief executive officer Bob Arum revealed that the 25-year-old is set to sign with his company.
The veteran promoter revealed the news to Boxing Scene’s Steve Kim Wednesday morning.
“He is going to become a Top Rank fighter,” Bob Arum told Boxing Scene. “We’re going to fight him at least three or four times a year.
“We call him the ‘next Manny Pacquiao.'”
Ancajas (28-1-1, 19KOs) defeated McJoe Arroyo for the world title back in September of 2016. Since then, he has defended his crown three times, with the most recent coming via a TKO of Jamike Conlan last November 18 in Belfast, Ireland.
Throughout his journey to the top, he was affiliated with MP Productions and he will continue to do so as the deal between Pacquiao’s camp and Arum’s will be to co-promote the native of Cavite City.
Later in the day, Ancajas, together with stablemate Mark Barriga and coach Joven Jimenez, made a courtesy call to the president.
“Nakakatuwa at na-meet namin si Presidente,” said Ancajas.
“Nakikita na rin namin siya dati sa Davao, pero iba pa rin po nung nameet namin siya na presidente na siya.”
Ancajas is set to face Israel Gonzalez (21-1) on February 3, 2018 at the Bank of America Center in Corpus Christi, Texas.