Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

Arwind Santos on lost Grand Slam bid: ‘Parang yung tinanim mo, hindi mo na naani’

Arwind Santos was sentimental after the San Miguel Beermen’s loss to the Barangay Ginebra San Miguel in their 2017 Governor’s Cup quarterfinal match on Wednesday night — the defeat that had crushed their Grand Slam hopes.

“Parang yung tinanim mo, alam mo na ikaw ang aani, hindi mo naani,” he said after their 84-104 loss at the Mall of Asia Arena. “Ganun ka-sakit yun eh, parang lugi ka, parang nasayang, parang mas gugustuhin mong binagyo na lang.

“At least natanggap mo na kagagawan ng bagyo.”

Looking at the bout, SMB played uncharacteristically — limited flow on offense, numerous defensive lapses, and missed hits from afar. Not only did they lose their bid, but they also absorbed one of their worst losses this season.

But despite that, there is no room for fingerpointing or whatsoever, according to the 2013 league Most Valuable Player.

“Pero hindi natin pwede sisihin ang pagkakamali ng bawat isa dahil team kami eh – kung ano ang pagkakamali ng isa, pagkakamali ng lahat. Kaya kailangan namin tanggapin,” said the lanky 36-year-old forward.

“Hindi dapat masira yung samahan namin, dahil yun ang pinagmamalaki talaga namin – yung samahan.”

It may have marked the end of the Beermen’s chase for the rare, historic feat and their season, but for Santos, there is still a lot to be thankful for even if their campaign did not conclude in the way they wanted.

“At least kami, two of three, not bad; kung lagi-laging ganun ang mangyayari – masaktan kami, basta two of three, sobrang thank you kami,” he said gratefully, pertaining to SMB winning both the 2017 Philippine and Commissioner’s Cups.

#ReadMore  June Mar Fajardo out 4-6 weeks due to fractured hand

Then again, damage had already been inflicted. There’s nothing that can describe how painful the setback is. But Santos remains optimistic, for he believes that the storied franchise still has chances to win a Grand Slam.

“Ang maganda dito, hindi naman nahihinto ang PBA eh, laging may chance, ‘di ba? So all-Filipino… Malay mo, pagkatapos ng all-Filipino, tapos balik si Charles Rhodes, makuha namin ulit yun, e ‘di may chance ulit kami (Grand Slam),” wondered the six-time champion.

“Basta wag lang kami titigil.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Talks of a Grand Slam have bogged down anew after San Miguel bowed out of the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals...

Basketball

Rain or Shine is hoping to silence the skeptics by maximizing its win-once incentive against San Miguel as the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — San Miguel will head into the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals streaking after sending Phoenix skidding to its second straight loss...

Basketball

Phoenix and San Miguel will try to look sharp heading into the much-awaited PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals that start next week, as...

Basketball

Just the idea of playing alongside Justin Brownlee while representing Gilas Pilipinas in this year’s Asian Games excites Bennie Boatwright. That’s actually part of...

Basketball

San Miguel completed the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinal picture by formally sending Terrafirma out of contention through a 126-110 beatdown on Wednesday...

Basketball

It’s either sink or swim as San Miguel and Terrafirma figure in a crucial bout for their quarterfinal aspirations in the PBA Season 50...

Basketball

Bennie Boatwright is taking quite some time to get acclimatized to the humid Manila weather since coming back, and it was evident with his...

Advertisement