Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Beach Volleyball

PNVF tryouts to go as planned despite players begging off


Only 17 of the 40 invited women’s indoor players will join the Philippine National Volleyball Federation’s tryout for the national team on Wednesday in Subic.

All the 17 players — headlined by Aby Maraño and Majoy Baron — have undergone their RT-PCR testing in Pasay last Monday.

Eleven of the national team aspirants are still student-athletes. Some of the confirmed names from the pros include Iris Tolenada and Jaja Santiago.

National team commission head Tony Boy Liao confirmed the development to Tiebreaker Times.

“Some players from the PVL Clubs are not joining the tryouts for reasons that were due to COVID-19,” said Liao.

“They have cited health concerns as their reason.”

In a release by the Games and Amusements Board, the two Rebisco-owned teams have entered their training bubble at St. Paul American School in Clark Freeport Zone, Tuesday. They are currently undergoing quarantine procedures as they wait for another negative RT-PCR test.

Players from Rebisco are Jia Morado, Alyssa Valdez, Risa Sato, Kat Tolentino, Bea De Leon, Maddie Madayag, and Denden Lazaro.

Also not attending are Petro Gazz’s Myla Pablo, F2 Logistics’ Kim Fajardo, Chery Tiggo’s Dindin Santiago-Manabat, PLDT’s Rhea Dimaculangan, and La Salle’s Angel Canino due to various reasons.

For the men’s side, Bryan Bagunas had already notified the federation that he cannot attend. He is still nursing an MCL injury he sustained during Oita Miyoshi’s penultimate game of the season in the V.League.

Majority of the men’s indoor and beach volleyball invitees have confirmed their attendance.

Those who are attending the tryouts for the women’s indoor team will most likely be guaranteed a slot in the 25-person pool for the Southeast Asian Games, which will be announced on May 7, Liao bared.

#ReadMore  UAAP Men's Football: Edgar Aban's scoring spree continues as FEU dominates UE
Written By


You May Also Like

Alas Pilipinas

SANTA ROSA – Shaq delos Santos will temporarily take over head coaching duties for Alas Pilipinas Women as Tai Bundit continues his recovery from...

Alas Pilipinas

Alas Pilipinas is entering a crucial national team cycle with both a reinforced coaching staff and an extended preparation window as it gears up...

Alas Pilipinas

Amid rising concerns from players over alleged issues within Alas Pilipinas, Philippine National Volleyball Federation president Anthony “Tony Boy” Liao assured that the federation...

Alas Pilipinas

Philippine National Volleyball Federation president Anthony “Tony Boy” Liao said the federation will meet with the lawyers of former Alas Pilipinas head coach Jorge...

Alas Pilipinas

It’s official. Tai Bundit has been named the new head coach of Alas Pilipinas Women, taking over from Jorge Souza de Brito, who led...

2025 FIVB World Men’s Championship

Alas Pilipinas spent the year climbing heights it had never reached before. From the indoor courts to the open sand, the program showed a...

2025 SEA Games

On the back of a productive year that saw Alas Pilipinas Men make steady gains across multiple international tournaments, Philippine National Volleyball Federation president...

2025 SEA Games

Newly-elected Philippine National Volleyball Federation president Anthony “Tony Boy” Liao raised concerns over several decisions made by the previous leadership regarding the Alas Pilipinas...

Advertisement