Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

PBA coaches assure: IATF protocols can be strictly implemented in practices

Doable.

That’s how all PBA coaches view the league’s strict health protocols that could help safeguard the players from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) disease once practice sessions resume anytime soon. 

Coaches and team managers gathered at the PBA office and were briefed by Commissioner Willie Marcial, Deputy Commissioner Eric Castro, and Legal Counsel Atty. Melvin Mendoza on the guidelines the league will implement.

“I think it’s good. All we have to do is follow it,” said Barangay Ginebra San Miguel head coach Tim Cone.

The procedure requires all teams to take a COVID-19 test three days before training commences. After that, teams will again have to undergo COVID-19 testing every 10 days.

Moreover, all training facilities should initially be disinfected using hospital standard disinfection procedures, besides the usual before-and-after group workouts disinfection process.

Players are also required to follow the ‘closed circuit’ method that confines their travel to home — practice facility and back.

“I think the PBA has put up an effective guideline to safeguard the players. It’s just a matter of attitude from the players to maintain it,” said NLEX Road Warriors coach Yeng Guiao.

Marcial said the meeting was well-attended and he heard some suggestions which he will relay to the Board of Governors during its meeting Saturday. “One inquiry was when will scrimmages be allowed,” he said.

Guiao said he sees no problem with the safety guidelines the league will implement. He added that the weight of the guidelines now rests on the players’ shoulders.

It’s up to them if we intend to keep everyone safe. Everybody should practice discipline at all times if we want this league to survive and likewise protect their livelihood,” he said.

#ReadMore  Brownlee surprised Jones picked him up on defense

Guiao, though, wants to know where the league will draw the line, asking, “How do we define cluster cases from an outbreak?”

Marcial said he will bring Guiao’s concern before the board in Saturday’s meeting.

Meanwhile, coach Leo Austria of the defending, five-time Philippine Cup champions San Miguel Beermen said that he feels thrilled with the thought that he will be reuniting with his players again.

“It’s been four months (since the lockdown). So we really missed each other a lot. Having the opportunity to be together and work out together is a relief for everybody”, said Austria.

With regards to the protocol, Austria said the players must practice the 3 Ds — namely discipline, determination, and dedication to keep everybody safe.

In an earlier report, Marcial said that team practices might begin about “five to seven days” after the board meeting.

The PBA has been suspended since March due to the pandemic, but hope has sprung since the Inter-Agency Task Force last week allowed practice and conditioning for basketball and football as requested by the league and the Philippine Football Federation.

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

What was once a conference full of hope turned into a nightmare for NLEX. Entering the 2026 PBA Commissioner’s Cup as the top seed...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Eighth-ranked TNT completed its ouster of top seed NLEX by way of a 118-112 decision in the knockout match to settle the...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Jerom Lastimosa would rather move on instead of dwelling on the what-ifs after he and Magnolia saw the end of their PBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Magnolia ultimately fell short in completing its upset of Meralco in the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals on Saturday, but if...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Meralco refused to get swept and instead sent Magnolia packing by way of a 105-102 overtime victory to advance to the PBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Now, it’s all about getting the job done for TNT and Magnolia to formalize their entry to the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Talks of a Grand Slam have bogged down anew after San Miguel bowed out of the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Justin Brownlee stays optimistic even after suffering a hamstring injury during Barangay Ginebra’s eventual victory over Phoenix to advance to the PBA...

Advertisement