Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

AU

NCAA donates PHP 100k to Batanes quake victims


The NCAA Management Committee unanimously approved a cash donation of PHP 100,000 to the province of Batanes after a devastating 5.9 magnitude earthquake late last month.

NCAA MANCOM chairman Peter Cayco said Tuesday that it is in line with the league’s advocacy and that the financial assistance will be turned over to Batanes provincial officials led by its governor Marilou Cayco on Saturday during halftime of the Letran College and San Beda University encounter at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay City.

“What we are doing is part of the NCAA advocacy, and the oldest collegiate tournament in the country, as an institution, has helped our fellow Filipinos in need, especially those affected by calamities,” said Cayco.

“The other member schools have already done their part, and this time, as one family, the NCAA is extending its assistance to help Batanes,” added Cayco of NCAA Season 95 host Arellano University.

Letran’s MANCOM representative Fr. Vic Calvo made the proposal during its meeting last Thursday hosted by Paul Supan during the NCAA ‘on tour’ game at the Jose Rizal University.

Batanes suffered damage to houses and historical structures, including the old Santa Maria de Mayan Church in Itbayat.

The earthquake also resulted in nine fatalities, while 911 families or 2,963 individuals were affected by the disaster and had estimated damage amounting to P292 million by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

In the past, the league has extended support to calamities, like the victims of typhoons Yolanda and Ondoy, the tragedy during the Marawi siege. It also provided help to basketball legend Samboy Lim, a former Letran Knight.

#ReadMore  PSL: Farm Fresh-Letran, Pampanga-Pradera score huge opening day wins in Nationals

Meanwhile, the NCAA canceled fives games Tuesday, including three men’s matches at The Arena after classes were suspended due to expected heavy rainfall in Metro Manila.

The canceled senior’s matches were between unbeaten College of St. Benilde and red-hot Letran, defending three-time champion San Beda and Mapua, and Arellano versus San Sebastian.

“Again, due to the very late suspension of classes, the games scheduled at 10:00 am onwards for Tuesday, 6 August 2019 are canceled and shall be played on a date and time to be determined later. Tickets for canceled games shall be honored on the rescheduled date,” said Cayco.

Written By


You May Also Like

AdU

Learning continued for Gilas Pilipinas Boys as they faced a tough test against a sharp University of the Philippines side, falling 92-74 on Thursday...

AU

Mason Amos took matters into his own hands for La Salle, drilling the game-winning triple to lift the Green Archers past University of Santo...

AU

University of the Philippines grabbed an early lead in the UAAP Group of the 19th Filoil EcoOil Preseason Cup presented by ABC Tile Adhesive...

Basketball

Preparing for the 2026 SEABA Under-18 Championship, Gilas Pilipinas Youth gained valuable learning experience after falling to Far Eastern University, 83-58, in the 19th...

Basketball

Over the past five months, the dust from the thrilling NCAA Season 101 Men’s Basketball Tournament championship series between San Beda University and Colegio...

Basketball

National University burst everyone’s bubble and spoiled reigning UAAP champion De La Salle University, 70-64, while defending three-time Filoil EcoOil Preseason Cup champion University...

ADMU

Six UAAP teams have advanced to the 2026 Asiabasket National Student-Athletes Championship, led by defending UAAP champion De La Salle University and runner-up University...

Basketball

San Beda has secured its point guard of the future. De La Salle Zobel standout Maco Dabao committed to San Beda University on Wednesday...

Advertisement