Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) PBA Images

Basketball

Death threats won’t shake RJ Abarrientos: ‘Nag-focus lang ako sa game’

ANTIPOLO – RJ Abarrientos is leaving it up to the powers that be as he chooses to focus on Ginebra’s playoff run in the PBA Season 49 Commissioner’s Cup.

The well-traveled rookie is opting to move on and let the relevant authorities handle matters after receiving death threats shortly after the Kings’ loss to Meralco in Game 2 of their best-of-3 quarterfinal series last Friday.

“Mahirap sa part ko kasi alam naman natin, medyo alarming yung nangyari. Pero for me, we just need to move on kasi may game eh,” he said.

Doing so sure did wonders for Abarrientos come Game 3, which saw him become one of the key cogs that brought the semis-clinching 94-87 victory.

He finished with 16 points, four rebounds, and three assists as the third overall pick helped in the decisive 8-0 run late in the game for the strong windup.

The 25-year-old playmaker, still, didn’t hide how alarming receiving those messages had been, especially those that involved his family.

“Mahirap kasi hindi biro yung nangyari kasi family matters eh. Medyo nadamay yung family ko, especially nasa public places kami palagi,” he said.

Thus, his gratitude to PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial and SMC sports director Alfrancis Chua for their swift action regarding the matter.

“Pinag-pray ko lang din na sana maging maayos. Nagpapasalamat din ako kay Boss Al at kay Commissioner Willie na hindi nila ako pinabayaan,” he said.

“Binigay ko sa kanila,” the former Far Eastern University product furthered. “Nag-focus lang ako sa game. Kinalimutan ko na ‘yun.”

With the league’s execs taking care of it in cooperation with the National Bureau of Investigation, Abarrientos can now shift his attention to the upcoming break ahead where Ginebra will gear up for the semis against NorthPort.

#ReadMore  Dagangon lifts Perpetual past Letran in overtime

“Fast-paced game kasi alam naman natin ‘yung NorthPort isa sa mga youngest team dito sa PBA,” he said. “May reason kaya sila nag No. 1.

“Kailangan namin pag-igihan to. We just need to see all the films na pwede naming makuhang advantage para against NorthPort,” he closed.

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

RJ Abarrientos could be required to wear a protective mask for possibly the remainder of the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup semifinals after suffering...

Basketball

Ginebra weathered Rain or Shine’s late-game storm and escaped with the narrow 107-101 victory to even things out in the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

TNT and Rain or Shine have their sights set on moving halfway to conquering their respective series as the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Scottie Thompson left with an ice pack on his head after suffering a nasty bump on his head late in Ginebra’s eventual...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Rain or Shine needed to do a little bit of everything to gut out a 115-111 victory over Ginebra and take Game...

Basketball

The last four teams standing are all aiming for a head start as the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup semifinals get underway later in...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Justin Brownlee stays optimistic even after suffering a hamstring injury during Barangay Ginebra’s eventual victory over Phoenix to advance to the PBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Ginebra completed half of the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup semifinal picture after breezing past Phoenix, 112-81, in a game that hardly...

Advertisement