Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

Trillo: David still part of Meralco, but next move hasn’t been discussed yet

Meralco shooting guard Gary David still has a live contract with the Bolts, team manager Paolo Trillo clarified.

“Gary was placed on the reserve list, but as per PBA rules, we are only allowed to protect one player. Right now, Rabeh Al-Hussaini is already on the reserve-protected,” Trillo said.

“Gary will have to be an unrestricted free agent. Technically, he still has a live contract with us, but as you know, unrestricted free agents have the prerogative of moving teams. If another team offers him, he has the freedom to move teams.”

David was suspended by the team earlier this week after refusing to play in the team’s match against NLEX last week. In a statement, Meralco stated David’s “behavior is unacceptable in different levels” because of “insubordination”, “lack of dedication to the team”, and “breach of contract which states that he’s obligated to play in official PBA games at all times.”

PBA-Images-Meralco-Bolts-Gary-David Trillo: David still part of Meralco, but next move hasn't been discussed yet Basketball News PBA  - philippine sports news

David, a two-time scoring champion, has averaged only 6.6 PPG on 34.8 percent shooting in 16.3 minutes per outing this conference.

Trillo added that if ever David receives an offer from another team and he decides to accept the offer, his new team will have to assume what is left of David’s contract under the Bolts.

“There are PBA rules for that. If a team gets him, then obviously the team has to assume his contract. They will have to take on it,” Trillo said.

David’s contract under Meralco runs until the end of the season.

Asked if the Bolts are still considering the reactivation of David, Trillo said the Meralco management has not yet discussed the next move regarding the issue.

#ReadMore  'Dream come true' for Mike Tolomia as he finally gets FEU diploma

“Again, as per PBA rules, once you put a player on a reserve list, he has to sit out two games. So this (against Blackwater) is our first game (without him), the second game is on April 3. We have not yet discussed our next move on that,” he said.

Written By

You May Also Like

Basketball

Jordon Varnado impressed in his PBA debut after helping Meralco snap its depressing four-game losing slide in the Season 50 Governors’ Cup at the...

Basketball

Rivals will take center stage before the PBA heads into a lengthy break as Ginebra and Meralco face off again in what should be...

Basketball

Meralco has activated its original import ahead of its rivalry game against Ginebra in the 2026 PBA Governors’ Cup. The Bolts have replaced Antonio...

Basketball

The rain delay seemingly did more good than harm for Magnolia as it pulled away in the fourth en route to dealing Meralco yet...

Basketball

Magnolia will look to build off its massive Manila Clasico win when the traditional contenders figure in a group phase rematch against an embattled...

Basketball

Meralco has thrown its full support behind Cliff Hodge, strongly rejecting Rain or Shine head coach Yeng Guiao’s latest remarks labeling the Filipino-American bruiser...

Basketball

Yeng Guiao’s long-running criticism of Cliff Hodge resurfaced once again on Sunday, with the veteran Rain or Shine mentor branding the Meralco forward as...

Basketball

Rain or Shine showed better poise against a more experienced Meralco to hack out a thrilling 85-83 decision for its fourth consecutive win in...

Advertisement