Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

Ilocos Norte offers to host PBA Season 46 bubble

The PBA has previously talked about the financial and mental difficulties of the bubble setup, but has not yet crossed the option out for Season 46.

And in fact, according to no less than Commissioner Willie Marcial, a province has opened its doors for the league should it decide to this year’s cage wars in a biosecure environment like it did in Clark last year.

The amiable executive disclosed Tuesday that he has spoken with Ilocos Norte Gov. Matthew Manotoc and Metro Ilocos Norte Council head Perry Martinez — the PBA’s former technical consultant — about the possible Ilocos bubble.

Manotoc is the co-owner of the renowned Espiritu-Manotoc Basketball Management agency along with Marvin Espiritu, who, Marcial said, was the one who pitched the idea of the PBA playing in the said province.

“Kausap ko si Gov. Matthew Manotoc last week at kahapon, ino-offer niya mag-host ng bubble sa Ilocos Norte,” said Marcial Tuesday. “Nagpapasalamat ako sa kanya, alam mo naman kaibigan natin si Governor Matthew.

“Sinabi ko yung mga kundisyon, ito kung papano, sabi niya sige, tas sabi ko hintayin lang natin kung saan ang direksiyon ng governors.”

That offer, however, has yet to be formalized since the board’s plan right now is for the entire league to be inoculated.

“So tinawagan ko sila ulit kahapon, silang dalawa ni Perry Martinez, na ang direksiyon ng PBA as of now ay vaccine. Vaccine muna,” said the fourth-year league chief.

“Pero hindi namin sinasara ang bubble.”

Ilocos Norte is no stranger to holding PBA games. Back in 2012, Laoag City served as host of the All-Star Weekend festivities.

#ReadMore  PLDT set to make much-anticipated return

With this, two local government units are now willing to help the PBA. Earlier, the league had entered talks with the Rizal LGU — through ex-governor Jun Ynares — as the Ynares Center was eyed to be the venue.

Those plans, however, got derailed when the province — along with Cavite, Laguna, Bulacan, and Metro Manila — was put under stricter lockdown measures due to the spike in COVID-19 cases over the past few weeks.

But Rizal remains open to hosting the league once it gets the much-needed nod from the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF).

“Kausap ko rin si ex-governor/ex-mayor Jun Ynares, ang sinasabi niya, ‘Comm, open ako sa PBA — bubble o closed-circuit o kung anong gusto niyo okay ako basta may approval ng Task Force,'” Marcial said.

“So ‘yun yung dalawang LGUs natin na handang tumulong.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

ANTIPOLO – Jhonard Clarito knew how to redeem himself after playing an important role in Rain or Shine’s thrilling escape from Ginebra in Game...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Scottie Thompson left with an ice pack on his head after suffering a nasty bump on his head late in Ginebra’s eventual...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Rain or Shine needed to do a little bit of everything to gut out a 115-111 victory over Ginebra and take Game...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — The locals shone anew with Jordan Heading coming through this time as TNT drew first blood versus Meralco in the PBA Commissioner’s...

Basketball

The last four teams standing are all aiming for a head start as the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup semifinals get underway later in...

Basketball

What was once a conference full of hope turned into a nightmare for NLEX. Entering the 2026 PBA Commissioner’s Cup as the top seed...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Eighth-ranked TNT completed its ouster of top seed NLEX by way of a 118-112 decision in the knockout match to settle the...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Jerom Lastimosa would rather move on instead of dwelling on the what-ifs after he and Magnolia saw the end of their PBA...

Advertisement