Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) PSC-POC Media Group

2023 FIBA World Cup

Arvin Tolentino respects Chot’s decision to not include him in Gilas pool

Coming off cloud nine after winning gold in the 32nd Southeast Asian Games with Gilas Pilipinas “Redeem Team”, Arvin Tolentino admitted that he hoped to be part of the pool for the upcoming World Cup.

On Tuesday, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas released the 21-man pool for the biggest stage in basketball happening from August to September here in the Philippines, Japan, and Indonesia.

Tolentino was not included.

“Oo winish ko rin na sana makasama ako. But I respect the decision of the management and Coach Chot (Reyes) syempre,” said Tolentino on Friday, making his PBA On Tour debut for Northport.

“Siya (Reyes) yung may alam talaga kung anong the best for the team. And I’m sure kung sino man nilagay na tao doon, I’m sure ibibigay nila yung best nila. And I’ll be supporting them 100 percent all the way kasi they still represent me, my country. So laban lang, puso lang,” shared the 6-foot-5 forward.

Headlining the pool are naturalized players Jordan Clarkson, Justine Brownlee, and Ange Kouame. It also listed players abroad in Kai Sotto, Carl Tamayo, Rhenz Abando, Kiefer Ravena, Thirdy Ravena, Ray Parks, Dwight Ramos, Jordan Heading, and AJ Edu.

Rounding out the pool are Scottie Thompson, Jamie Malonzo, Japeth Aguilar, Roger Pogoy, Poy Erram, Calvin Oftana, Chris Newsome, CJ Perez, and June Mar Fajardo.

Now, Tolentino will shift his focus to leading the Batang Pier, who just lost star Robert Bolick to Japan B.League Division II team Fukushima.

And that he did in his first game back for Northport, unleashing 22 points including four triples to go with five rebounds, two blocks, and two steals in just 24 minutes off the bench.

#ReadMore  Justine Baltazar grateful to finally get Gilas' notice

It was also his long bombs that stopped the third-quarter comeback of Blackwater en route to the 112-95 wire-to-wire win at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.

The 27-year-old sniper pointed out that the whole team should step up to fill the huge shoes left by Bolick. However, he also acknowledged that he, of all players, should step up the most.

2023-PBA-on-Tour-Blackwater-vs-Northport-Arvin-Tolentino Arvin Tolentino respects Chot's decision to not include him in Gilas pool 2023 FIBA World Cup Basketball Gilas Pilipinas News PBA  - philippine sports news

(C) PBA Images

“I think lahat naman kami lumaki yung role nung nawala si Robert, hindi lang naman ako. I think it’s really up to us as a team na talagang mag step up although yun nga I think as the next man up, ako yung pinakamalaking kailangan iimprove, iadjust,” he said.

Playing against the region’s best, Tolentino said the SEA Games experience was a big boost for him as Gilas reclaimed the gold medal after losing it last year to Indonesia.

Aside from encountering tough opponents, he also relished the chance of playing alongside the Philippines’ best hoopers.

“Actually malaking tulong yun sa akin eh kasi playing against the best players in Southeast Asia and some players from USA, talagang makakatulong yun kasi makalaban mo ba naman magagaling and of course kakampi mo best of the best din tapos gold pa. As a whole experience sobrang laking tulong sa akin, sa career ko.”

Written By

Just a kid from Cavite trying to make a difference.

You May Also Like

Basketball

It’s been years since Nike released a Philippine-themed basketball shoe in the market, but that long of a wait has come to an end,...

2026 Asian Games

Tim Cone will have his hands full after the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup concludes. Instead of preparing just one Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Gilas Pilipinas Men is adding another talent to its compact pool by calling up Justin Arana in anticipation of a busy summer...

Basketball

Just the idea of playing alongside Justin Brownlee while representing Gilas Pilipinas in this year’s Asian Games excites Bennie Boatwright. That’s actually part of...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Bennie Boatwright feels excited to begin his naturalization process now that he’s back in Manila to reinforce San Miguel in the PBA...

3x3 Basketball

Gilas Pilipinas Men turned a narrow loss into fuel for their campaign as they advanced to the knockout stages of the FIBA 3×3 Asia...

Basketball

Despite going winless in the second window of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 Asian Qualifiers, Justin Brownlee believes Gilas Pilipinas still “won a...

Basketball

From UAAP foes to potential Gilas Pilipinas teammates, Quentin Millora-Brown is ready to turn rivalry into brotherhood — and the catalyst for that transformation...

Advertisement