Sean Anthony really wanted to suit up for NorthPort Batang Pier Friday night in their match with the Meralco Bolts.
The 6-foot-4 forward has already recovered from the swollen ankle he suffered after their match versus Phoenix Pulse Fuel Masters last June 26, which caused him to miss their game versus the Columbian Dyip last July 3.
However, the coaches and the management deemed that it is better to sit Anthony out for the second straight game so that he is well-rested as soon as the 2019 PBA Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals commence.
“I could’ve played tonight again, but the coaches and management — along with the medical staff just thought it was best [to rest] if it’s not crucial,” the nine-year pro shared.
“If it was for the twice-to-beat advantage or for us to get in the playoffs, I would have played.”
The win improved NorthPort to 9-2, and that kept their hopes up of heading into the quarters as the top seed.
Anthony, of course, is glad not just with the win, but with what the Batang Pier has accomplished this conference — their win-loss record is a franchise-best, and clinching the twice-to-beat edge was their very first time in team history.
“This is an amazing conference for us so far,” said Anthony, who has spent the last two years of his career with NorthPort.
Still, Anthony said that they should not feel satisfied already with what they have accomplished so far. Their sights are now tightly locked into the playoffs, where the nine-year league veteran said everything matters.
“But it’s playoff time. This is where things really matter,” said Anthony.
“Another character win tonight, pulling out a close game, those hopefully come in handy and we’ll keep building when it really matters now: the playoffs.”