Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

2023 FIBA World Cup

PBA to discuss future of ’19 Gilas draftees, first window hosting with SBP

The Philippine Basketall Association will sit down with the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) now that the 2023 FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers is fast approaching.

Commissioner Willie Marcial will discuss such matters with the federation, led by its president Al Panlilio, as the league’s cooperation will be needed for the event scheduled on February 24-28 at the SMART Araneta Coliseum.

“Paguusapan pa namin ng SBP ‘yan kung papaano,” he told Tiebreaker Times Sunday.

“Tingnan natin kung anong gagawin natin.

Among the discussions will be regarding the schedule, whether or not the PBA will adjust its calendar to give way for the window as it could collide with the league’s 2021-22 Governors’ Cup elimination round matches.

The season-ending conference looks to resume on February 11 after pausing earlier this January in response to the government’s decision to revert Metro Manila to Alert Level 3 due to the rise in COVID-19 cases.

Well, tweaking schedules isn’t something new to the league, having done so numerous times in the past most especially when the Filipino dribblers are seeing action in major tournaments such as the World Cup.

Expected to be tackled, as well, is the status of the Gilas draftees from 2019, as their contracts with the Gilas program will expire on January 31.

It remains unknown if Terrafirma’s Isaac Go, Blackwater’s Rey Suerte, Nieto twins Matt (NLEX) and Mike (Rain or Shine), and Alaska’s Allyn Bulanadi will stay with the program or join their respective mother teams instead. Their contracts expire after Monday.

#ReadMore  Asi Taulava to have final tour of duty with NLEX

The league, though, has said previously that it is just waiting for word from the SBP regarding the aforementioned cagers. They will all be eligible to play for their respective ball clubs once cleared by the federation.

Such uncertainty is perhaps one of the reasons why the Samahan has yet to release a pool for the upcoming window, where it will battle long-time rivals South Korea, New Zealand, and India in a competitive Group A.

Thus, the importance of the SBP’s meeting with the league, which has insisted many times before that it remains committed to helping the program the best it can.

“Tingnan natin kung anong gagawin natin, kung papano tayo makakatulong,” the fourth-year league chieftain said.

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

Following the non-renewal of Pat Aquino as head coach, major changes have been made to the Gilas Pilipinas Women program ahead of the FIBA...

Basketball

It’s been years since Nike released a Philippine-themed basketball shoe in the market, but that long of a wait has come to an end,...

2026 Asian Games

Tim Cone will have his hands full after the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup concludes. Instead of preparing just one Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Gilas Pilipinas Men is adding another talent to its compact pool by calling up Justin Arana in anticipation of a busy summer...

Basketball

Just the idea of playing alongside Justin Brownlee while representing Gilas Pilipinas in this year’s Asian Games excites Bennie Boatwright. That’s actually part of...

3x3 Basketball

For the first time, the Philippines will host both a FIBA 3×3 Women’s Series leg and a Challenger event. The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Bennie Boatwright feels excited to begin his naturalization process now that he’s back in Manila to reinforce San Miguel in the PBA...

Basketball

It’s been quite a while since the last time Converge won in the ongoing PBA Commissioner’s Cup, and the youth-laden crew is hoping that...

Advertisement