The National Collegiate Athletic Association has once again decided to suspend all of its sporting events.
League Management Committee chair Peter Cayco of Arellano University made the announcement on Monday in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
“The action of the NCAA is for the safety and welfare of the students, the athletes, the fans and the officials,” Cayco said in a statement.
The decision was also made in compliance with the advisories of the Department of Health and the Department of Education.
“Due to the declaration of the Department of Health of Red Alert Sub-Level 1, and the guidance issued by the Department of Education that concerns gatherings or out-of-school activities, all NCAA activities are hereby suspended until further notice,” Cayco said.
Aside from Peter Cayco, also at the meeting are MANCOM members Fr. Vic Calvo of Letran, Paul Supan of JRU, Dax Castellano of St. Benilde, Frank Gusi of Perpetual Help, Melchor Divina of Mapua, Hercules Callanta of Lyceum, and Estefanio Boquiron Jr. of Emilio Aguinaldo College.
Unable to attend were Fr. Glynn Ortega of San Sebastian College and Mari Lacson of San Beda University, but were represented by their respective junior MANCOM officials.
The resumption of activities in the NCAA was supposed to be on March 16. The league had previously imposed a postponement last February 14.
In the meantime, league authorities will discuss whether the sporting events would be pushed back to a later date, or if there would be the cancellation of all activities.
“The Policy Board is set to meet soon to discuss the possibility of postponing the games, or canceling all together all games,” Cayco added.
Nothing is determined, as of the moment.
Nonetheless, Indoor Volleyball, Football, Lawn Tennis, Soft Tennis, Track and Field event, Under-15 Basketball and Beach Volleyball, as well as the Cheerdance competition remain on hold.