June Mar Fajardo admitted that he remains wary even if he has recovered from the shin injury that caused him to miss the entire 2020 PBA season.
“Sa totoo lang, hanggang sa ngayon, mentally medyo naiilang pa ako,” the reigning six-time MVP told 2OT, presented by SMART Friday.
“May mga moves na parang nagdadalawang-isip ako, I mean, nagaalangan ako.”
Fajardo has already joined San Miguel in its practices in Batangas since ball clubs received permission to return to scrimmages last May. Proof of this was the short video clip the league released, where he was doing post drills.
That, surely, was great news for the Beermen and their fans. But the 31-year-old revealed that things didn’t go smoothly, especially during his first days back.
“First two days ng practice, grabe ‘yung soreness,” said the 6-foot-10 center.
Fajardo suffered a minor setback in his recovery earlier this year. The wound of his surgery got infected and needed further treatment.
Thankfully, said Fajardo, the pain has been subsiding as time goes by. And he does not feel as restrained as before in terms of mobility.
“So far, maganda naman ‘yung tinatakbo ng conditioning ko, ginagawa namin nung PT namin ‘yung mga dapat kong gawin para ma-kundisyon ako. So far, wala nang masakit sa injury ko, ‘yun ‘yung maganda,” he said.
“Marami kaming ginagawa na mga footwork drills ng PT namin para makuha ko ulit ‘yung kumpiyansa ko. So far maganda naman ‘yung movements ko, so sana tuluy-tuloy. May one month pa naman ako para mag-prepare.”
Ultimately, the Cebuano star feels immensely blessed for receiving another opportunity to play the game after the unfortunate injury.
“Masaya ako, lagi ko ipinapasalamat kay God na binigyan ulit ako ng chance na makalaro ng basketball,” said Fajardo.
“Kasi nga, nakakatakot ‘yung nangyari sa akin eh. Binigyan Niya ako ng second chance na makabalik. Gagawin ko ‘yung best ko para makabalik sa old form, or mas mataasan ko pa ‘yung kung ano ‘yung nilaro ko before.”