Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

2021 SEA Games

Commitment of June Mar, Japeth to Gilas only for SEAG — for now


Chot Reyes and his staff have been scrambling to find big men for Gilas Pilipinas Men’s Southeast Asian Games team.

With the UAAP still ongoing by the time the Hanoi Games begin, bigs like Angelo Kouame and Geo Chiu of Ateneo, Justine Baltazar of La Salle, and Carl Tamayo of University of the Philippines won’t be available.

Ditto with Kai Sotto who will still be in the midst of his campaign with Adelaide in the National Basketball League by then.

Reyes rolled the dice on two key big men during his time with Gilas in the late 2010s — June Mar Fajardo and Japeth Aguilar.

Fortunately for the PBA’s only five-time Coach of the Year, he hit the jackpot.

“If you scan the horizon, there’s absolutely no big men available. The only ones left are in the PBA,” he said.

“When we asked June Mar and Japeth, the commissioner [Willie Marcial] himself ang tumawag sa kanila, and they were more than willing to join and participate. That made it easier for us.”

The last time Fajardo and Aguilar suited up for the national team was during the 2019 edition of the regional meet.

SEA-Games-2019-Gilas-vs-Myanmar Commitment of June Mar, Japeth to Gilas only for SEAG -- for now 2021 SEA Games Basketball Gilas Pilipinas News PBA  - philippine sports news

Gilas Pilipinas get its DREAM TEAM moment

Also forming the Gilas frontline are Mo Tautuaa of San Miguel, Isaac Go of Terrafirma, and the TNT duo of Poy Erram and Troy Rosario.

Reyes though stressed that the 16-man pool for the SEA Games is not technically the 30-man wishlist he sent to the PBA early this month.

#ReadMore  PBA: Ginebra averts meltdown vs Blackwater, snaps four-game skid

After all, the 30-man pool he wants that would be rotated for the rest of the FIBA windows and the Asian Games is still a work in progress.

“Tuloy-tuloy ang pag-uusap namin ni Comm Willie. The answer to that is the calendar and schedules. For us, we have the deadline of tomorrow so we have to come up with this lineup first,” he said.

“It’s already a work in progress and we are thankful to the PBA board for the support and giving a helping hand. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, we can plot a more long-term plan,” he added with regards to the 30-man pool.

“For now, ito muna yung urgent and let’s see what happens.”

Written By




You May Also Like

2025 SEA Games

The 33rd Southeast Asian Games in Thailand will strictly enforce a “passport-only” rule for all events. According to Team Philippines chef de mission Dr....

Basketball

Norman Black has begun forming his Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team that will compete in the 33rd Southeast Asian Games this December in Bangkok, Chonburi,...

Basketball

Dwight Ramos has plenty to smile about these days. On Sunday, his long-time partner Kianna Dy captured her first-ever Premier Volleyball League championship. The...

Basketball

With the 2025 PBA Philippine Cup ending last July 25, Gilas Pilipinas head coach Tim Cone had barely two weeks to prepare the national...

Basketball

After winning gold in the 19th Asian Games two years ago, Japeth Aguilar officially announced his retirement from national team duties. Yet, true to...

Basketball

Quentin Millora-Brown has been on Tim Cone’s radar since his stint with the University of the Philippines last year. After eight months of waiting,...

Basketball

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas announced on Friday evening that it had received confirmation from FIBA granting Quentin Millora-Brown eligibility to play for Gilas...

Basketball

Quentin Millora-Brown has officially been reclassified as a local player for the Philippines in FIBA competitions. On Thursday evening (Manila time), Millora-Brown’s camp, led...

Advertisement