Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

Al Panlilio says it’s ‘natural’ that Chot Reyes also gets Gilas director post


Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) President Al Panlilio offered that it would be ‘natural’ for Chot Reyes to serve as Gilas PIlipinas’ director now that he has been given the keys to the program once again.

“I think it’s just natural.

“Kasi Chot will be the coach, siguro naman it’s very clear na it has to be his program that has to continue,” the amiable executive said in a virtual press conference hosted by the PBA, Friday.

The veteran internationalist saw himself back in the house he helped build when he was reappointed as the national team head coach to replace Tab Baldwin — ahead of the FIBA World Cup 2023 Asian Qualifiers in Manila.

Baldwin had also been the men’s 5-on-5 director since 2019. And he had already begun honing his talent pool that could possibly fly the flag in the global conclave as early as the Asia Cup Qualifiers back in February 2020.

Excitement for what’s to come arose the following year when the youth-laden crew finished the ACQ perfectly with two wins over Korea and a near-upset of world powerhouse Serbia in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying in Belgrade.

It was generally expected that Baldwin’s unit would be developed all the way to the World Cup proper, until that shocker of an announcement by the SBP on the eve of Lunar New Year that Reyes will take the coaching reins anew.

Many netizens expressed their thoughts online, with the main concern about how the program will be since the meet is 18 months away.FIBA-World-Cup-2023-Presscon-Al-Panlilio Al Panlilio says it's 'natural' that Chot Reyes also gets Gilas director post Basketball Gilas Pilipinas News  - philippine sports news

#ReadMore  PBA: Trollano spoils Pogoy's birthday, lifts NLEX past TNT in thriller

But then again, Panlilio said that the nine-time PBA champion is technically the director as well since he is now the one steering the ship again.

In fact, said the long-time executive, Reyes has been busy working on building the best possible team for the WCQ on February 24-28.

Given time constraints and manpower crisis, Reyes has been given the green light by the PBA to utilize the core of his TNT to reinforce Gilas.

The young guns are in the equation, too, with naturalized center Ange Kouame, Will Navarro, Tzaddy Rangel, and Jaydee Tungcab already with the Tropang Giga in their training bubble in Batangas.

Soon rejoining the pool is Dwight Ramos, who was allowed by mother team Toyama in the Japan B.League to play for the Philippine team.

“Let’s give him a chance,” Panlilio said.

“We’re already scrambling for the first window and, again, thank you to the support of the PBA that we are able to at least have a semblance of a lineup for the February window.”

The final lineup that’s set to battle Korea, New Zealand, and India could be announced next week, according to the federation.

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.


You May Also Like

Basketball

ANTIPOLO – Jordan Heading took the spotlight this time around as the locals continued their solid play for TNT in the opening salvo of...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — The locals shone anew with Jordan Heading coming through this time as TNT drew first blood versus Meralco in the PBA Commissioner’s...

Basketball

The last four teams standing are all aiming for a head start as the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup semifinals get underway later in...

Basketball

Following the non-renewal of Pat Aquino as head coach, major changes have been made to the Gilas Pilipinas Women program ahead of the FIBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Eighth-ranked TNT completed its ouster of top seed NLEX by way of a 118-112 decision in the knockout match to settle the...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Now, it’s all about getting the job done for TNT and Magnolia to formalize their entry to the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

Roger Pogoy is well aware that it all starts with the veterans if TNT wants to stay alive in the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

TNT kept its title defense bid alive after dragging NLEX to a sudden death by way of a 96-93 decision in a pulsating start...

Advertisement