Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) PBA Images

Basketball

Tim Cone: Bennie Boatwright resembles a taller version of young Justin Brownlee


Gilas Pilipinas head coach Tim Cone is tempering expectations surrounding Bennie Boatwright and his pending naturalization process.

But the champion mentor has no doubt whatsoever how much of an asset the former San Miguel import can be to the program, especially after seeing similarities to a young Justin Brownlee — albeit a few inches taller.

“He’s very versatile. He kind of reminds me of a young Justin, just like three or four inches taller,” he offered after Ginebra’s 87-77 win over Magnolia in the PBA Season 48 Philippine Cup at the SMART Araneta Coliseum Sunday.

Boatwright has reportedly agreed in principle to undergo naturalization as part of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas’ (SBP) plans to expand the men’s team’s pool of naturalized players that currently have Brownlee and Ange Kouame.

“I have not been a part of the conversation in terms of speaking to him and his agents and stuff. I’m hearing everything via a third party,” he said.

“But as far as I know we have an agreement that he’s already submitting papers to naturalize.”

FIBA-Asia-Cup-Q-Coach-Tim-Cone-3371 Tim Cone: Bennie Boatwright resembles a taller version of young Justin Brownlee Basketball Gilas Pilipinas News PBA  - philippine sports newsCone disclosed asking for the USC Trojan to be included in the federation’s plans after an impressive stint with the Beermen in the Season 48 Commissioner’s Cup, where he helped lead the franchise to the title.

Though it’s not just the maiden PBA stint that caught his attention, but also the shades of ‘JB’ in the 27-year-old, 6-foot-8 big man he saw.

“Well, I was the one who asked for him. I think he’s a tremendous talent. He’s got great size and he can play in and out. He’s very versatile,” he said.

#ReadMore  Ginebra's tough Game 5 loss highlights need for Brownlee, admits Standhardinger

But then again, Cone does not want to look too far ahead, reminding him that the whole naturalization process could get tedious.

“This could be a process. It’s usually a long process — three, four, maybe eight months, we don’t know because it took Justin a long time to get his,” he said.

And as it stands, Brownlee remains the guy for Gilas, Cone said. “You know, without a doubt, and this is written in stone right now, Justin is our guy. And Bennie is going to be his back-up,” he said.

Just like Justin was the backup to Jordan Clarkson in the World Cup. So we’re gonna go with that at the moment. But again he’s not even here yet. He’s not even naturalized yet,” the 66-year-old bench tactician added.

“I think he’s in China at the moment. I haven’t talked to him personally about it but Coach Richard [del Rosario] has and he’s also talked to their agents.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.




You May Also Like

2025 SEA Games

The 33rd Southeast Asian Games in Thailand will strictly enforce a “passport-only” rule for all events. According to Team Philippines chef de mission Dr....

Basketball

Norman Black has begun forming his Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team that will compete in the 33rd Southeast Asian Games this December in Bangkok, Chonburi,...

Basketball

Dwight Ramos has plenty to smile about these days. On Sunday, his long-time partner Kianna Dy captured her first-ever Premier Volleyball League championship. The...

Basketball

With the 2025 PBA Philippine Cup ending last July 25, Gilas Pilipinas head coach Tim Cone had barely two weeks to prepare the national...

Basketball

After winning gold in the 19th Asian Games two years ago, Japeth Aguilar officially announced his retirement from national team duties. Yet, true to...

Basketball

Quentin Millora-Brown has been on Tim Cone’s radar since his stint with the University of the Philippines last year. After eight months of waiting,...

Basketball

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas announced on Friday evening that it had received confirmation from FIBA granting Quentin Millora-Brown eligibility to play for Gilas...

Basketball

Quentin Millora-Brown has officially been reclassified as a local player for the Philippines in FIBA competitions. On Thursday evening (Manila time), Millora-Brown’s camp, led...

Advertisement