Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) KBA

Basketball

Though happy for Abando, Tan disappointed by KGC’s lack of coordination with Letran


Colegio de San Juan de Letran head coach Bonnie Tan had mixed emotions after Anyang KGC announced on Thursday afternoon that it had signed Rhenz Abando to a two-year deal.

After all, it’s the biggest break the 24-year-old winger out of La Union received so far.

“We cannot blame the player dahil may dreams and ambitions mga yan,” Tan told Tiebreaker Times.

On the other hand, Tan also could not help but be disappointed with how the transaction went, questioning the timing of it all.

It was only after the Knights’ game against Jose Rizal University on Wednesday evening when Tan was notified that officials from the Korean Ginseng Corporation were in the country, looking to close in on a deal with Abando.

2022-Filoil-Ecooil-Preseason-Cup-Letran-vs-JRU-Kobe-Monje-scaled Though happy for Abando, Tan disappointed by KGC's lack of coordination with Letran Basketball CSJL NCAA News  - philippine sports news

Less than 24 hours later, Anyang announced the acquisition even if it had not coordinated with the Colegio prior. And it happened during Wangs @ 26-Letran’s game against Centro Escolar University in the 2022 PBA D-League Aspirants Cup.

2022-PBA-D-League-Aspirants-Cup-Letran-vs-CEU-Franz-Diaz Though happy for Abando, Tan disappointed by KGC's lack of coordination with Letran Basketball CSJL NCAA News  - philippine sports news

(C) PBA Images

How KGC went about this signing was different from how Samsung Seoul went through the process back in May when it was negotiating with Abando. The Thunders were always aligned with Tan and the team’s management during their stay here.

“Siyempre yung Korean team dapat may courtesy din. Kasi yung school mismo, hindi man lang tinawagan,” rued the two-time NCAA champion coach.

“But again, it’s a better opportunity for the players and I’m happy for Rhenz. I’m hoping na nakuha niya yung kontrata na gusto niya and sana mas mag-grow pa siya dun,” he expressed.

But now that Abando is gone, Tan is challenging the remaining Knights to step up and fill the giant shoes left by the reigning MVP.

#ReadMore  Having Brownlee, Oliver will help Gilas adjust better to FIBA windows

“Challenge na ito kayla Fran [Yu], Brent [Paraiso], [Kurt] Reyson, Kobe [Monje], and the rest of the team to step up para makuha namin yung three-peat,” said Tan.

“Kailangan sama-sama kami rito para makuha natin yung goal na yun.”

Written By


You May Also Like

Basketball

Things just keep getting better for Tim Cone and Gilas Pilipinas Men. Just two days after Quentin Millora-Brown recommitted to the national team for...

Basketball

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas announced that FIBA has granted Mike Phillips local status, making him eligible to suit up as a local in all...

Basketball

Dwight Ramos has faced New Zealand men’s national basketball team five times in his Gilas Pilipinas career. He has beaten the Tall Blacks only...

Basketball

It’s all systems go for Gilas Pilipinas Men in the remainder of the FIBA World Cup 2027 Asian Qualifiers, as the final two pieces...

Basketball

Nine pool players participated in Gilas Pilipinas’ first practice at Inspire Sports Academy in Laguna on Tuesday. Dwight Ramos, who arrived from Hokkaido on...

Basketball

Mark Belmonte has made his decision. The 6-foot-6 forward has committed to transfer to Colegio de San Juan de Letran, finalizing his choice on...

2025 SEA Games

The year 2025 was expected to be a transitional one for Philippine sports, marked by a change in leadership at the top government agency...

Basketball

Chris Newsome could not help but feel mixed emotions on Monday evening. On one hand, he was pleased to have led Meralco to a...

Advertisement