Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) PSC

Golf

Philippine Golf Championship kicks off Asian Tour season with $500,000 prize purse


The stage is set, as more than 130 players vie for the Philippine Golf Championship, presented by the Philippine Sports Commission, which will kick off the Asian Tour season from February 5 to 8 at the renowned East Course of Wack Wack Golf and Country Club in Mandaluyong City.

Among the top golfers expected to compete are former Order of Merit winners John Catlin and Kim Sihwan of the United States, as well as Jazz Janewattananond of Thailand.

The tournament boasts a total prize purse of $500,000 from the Asian Tour and the National Golf Association of the Philippines, the sport’s governing body in the country.

Backed by Philippine Sports Commission chairman Pato Gregorio, the event marks the second consecutive year that the Philippines will host the season-opening event of the Asian Tour, further solidifying the country’s reputation as a regional golfing powerhouse.

“Hosting the season opener of the Asian Tour for the second straight year reflects the confidence the international sporting community has in the Philippines,” said Gregorio.

“The Philippine Golf Championship aligns perfectly with our vision of using major events to inspire excellence, elevate Filipino athletes, and strengthen the country’s sports tourism and global sporting profile,” he added.

No less than President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has given his stamp of approval to the tournament, similar to other projects under the National Sports Tourism Inter-Agency Committee (NST-IAC), which Gregorio also chairs.

These include the FIVB Men’s World Cup, the Futsal World Cup, the World Junior Gymnastics Championships, a premier international surfing classic, and the recently concluded WTA 125 Philippine Open.

#ReadMore  MVPSF sweetens pot for Tokyo-bound Team PH -- including P10M for gold

Like previous international sporting events hosted in the country, the Philippine Golf Championship promises top-level competition for Filipino golfers.

“The Filipino golfers can compete against the world’s best,” said Gregorio.

“We have proven that time and again. The Philippines as a golf destination is likewise comparable with the world’s best. Golf will be one of the pillars of our sports tourism efforts. The PSC and NST-IAC will closely work with NGAP to make sure we are successful.”

For NGAP, the tournament is an opportunity to showcase the talent of Filipino players. Recently, Aidric Chan and Carl Jano Corpus both claimed titles on the Asian Development Tour.

“Working closely with the Asian Tour, we’re proud to showcase our players, our courses, and our capability to stage world-class events,” said NGAP chairman Al Panlilio.

“This tournament not only honors our rich golfing heritage but also inspires the next generation of Filipino golfers.”

The field will also feature former Asian Tour winners Suteepat Prateeptienchai, Poosit Supupramai, Ekpharit Wu, Rattanonn Wannasrichan, and Sadom Kaewkanjana of Thailand; Jbe Kruger of South Africa; Kim Hongtaek of Korea; and Lee Chiehpo of Chinese Taipei.

From the Philippines, among the 25 professionals expected to participate are former Philippine Open champions Angelo Que, Clyde Mondilla, and Gerald Rosales, as well as Antonio Lascuna, a five-time Philippine Golf Tour OOM winner.

They will be joined by 16 invited local players and six national amateurs. The tournament is open to the public and welcomes spectators.

Asian Tour commissioner and CEO Cho Minn Thant said the event provides the perfect platform to launch the season.

#ReadMore  FIBA 3x3 World Cup to be a huge boost for country's Olympic bid

“As we close in on being able to announce our full schedule for this year, the Asian Tour is absolutely delighted to confirm that the Philippine Golf Championship will raise the curtain on our 2026 season,” said Cho.

“We started last year strongly in Manila as well, at the Philippine Open, and it is with great enthusiasm that we return there to begin another season filled with promise and opportunity.

“We thank our friends at the NGAP for their continued commitment, and we are especially pleased to be back at Wack Wack, a special venue full of memories and where par is always to be respected,” he added.

Written By


You May Also Like

News

The Philippine Sports Commission is ready to break new ground in athlete development through a pioneering collaboration with Sports Vision on April 9 and...

Golf

By: Waylon Galvez In a move that strengthens and unifies the country’s grassroots golf development program, the National Golf Association of the Philippines has...

Basketball

The Philippine Sports Commission and the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas on Sunday praised the Fil-Chinese Athletic Association Inc. for staging its basketball tournament, calling...

Golf

Cho Wooyoung soared to his first Asian Tour triumph on Sunday, firing a brilliant five-under 67 to overtake Thailand’s Pavit Tangkamolprasert by four shots...

Golf

Karandeep Kochhar stole the spotlight on the challenging East Course of Wack Wack Golf and Country Club on Saturday, February 7, delivering one of...

Golf

Australia’s Travis Smyth carded a three-under-par 69, while South Koreans Jeunghun Wang and Wooyoung Cho posted matching 70s to forge a four-way tie for...

Golf

Sarut Vongchaisit of Thailand stormed to the top of the leaderboard with a four-under par 68 in a thrilling opening round of the Philippine...

Football

By: Icko de Guzman Coming off a strong 2025—highlighted by Philippine football breaking barriers through a collective surge and capped by the Filipinas’ gold...

Advertisement