Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

PBA scraps Oct. 10 deadline for player entry in Clark bubble

Player entry into the bubble mounted at the Clark Freeport Zone in Pampanga has become a challenge for the PBA, with the resumption of its pandemic-delayed season fast approaching.

Deputy Commissioner Eric Castro admitted to that in Tuesday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum webcast, since there are still those who have yet to enter the former US military base.

“To be straightforward, ‘yung pagpasok ng players, very challenging,” the soft-spoken executive said in the weekly session powered by SMART and presented by San Miguel Corp., Go For Gold, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, MILO, and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), with Upstream Media as webcast partner

“Kasi aside doon sa mga scheduled teams who will enter on a specific date, ito nga, may mga latecomers,” he added. “So the coordination and all, the testing, ito nga ‘yung waiting period. Siyempre lahat ng mga latecomers, they want to know right away ‘yung results nila for them to join practices — not just the players themselves, siyempre ‘yung coaches nito, managers nito. It’s understandable.”

Most of those latecomers have valid reasons, though, such as injury rehab. Meralco big man Raymond Almazan, for example, arrived just last Sunday after completing his rehab from a knee surgery.

The 6-foot-8 center was among those who entered the bubble on the same day along with Phoenix Super LPG forwards JC Intal and Jorey Napoles, both of whom have just recovered from injuries.

Among those who came in late are Blackwater rookie Maurice Shaw; and JR Quinahan, Jericho Cruz, Michael Miranda, Kenneth Ighalo, Anthony Semerad, and Mike Ayonayon of NLEX.

#ReadMore  Jessica Miclat makes Filipinas return for OQT

Other expected arrivals this week include Barangay Ginebra stars LA Tenorio and Japeth Aguilar. The former underwent an appendectomy last week, while the latter is undergoing rehab from an old injury.

“Sila ‘yung I think the last two players that will enter,” believes Castro regarding Tenorio and Aguilar. “Because the group of NLEX entered yesterday; last Sunday naman, ‘yung Phoenix and Meralco.”

The league had initially set a deadline of Oct. 10, 11:59 p.m. for all players to enter the bubble environment. Failure to comply meant that they will not be allowed entry.

However, the Board of Governors has just approved a proposal to let go of the said deadline to give way for the latecomers, and entry would be allowed even if the compressed Philippine Cup is ongoing.

“The Board of Governors recently approved na wala munang deadline ngayon for all latecomers. Open na. Pwedeng may pumasok na players, or any member ng nasa 25-man lineup even if ongoing ‘yung league natin,” Castro said.

However, the league remains firm that re-entry into the bubble is not allowed. “Ang bawal lang talaga is bumalik. Once you get out, you cannot enter again,” Castro said.

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

What was once a conference full of hope turned into a nightmare for NLEX. Entering the 2026 PBA Commissioner’s Cup as the top seed...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Eighth-ranked TNT completed its ouster of top seed NLEX by way of a 118-112 decision in the knockout match to settle the...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Jerom Lastimosa would rather move on instead of dwelling on the what-ifs after he and Magnolia saw the end of their PBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Magnolia ultimately fell short in completing its upset of Meralco in the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals on Saturday, but if...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Meralco refused to get swept and instead sent Magnolia packing by way of a 105-102 overtime victory to advance to the PBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Now, it’s all about getting the job done for TNT and Magnolia to formalize their entry to the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Talks of a Grand Slam have bogged down anew after San Miguel bowed out of the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Justin Brownlee stays optimistic even after suffering a hamstring injury during Barangay Ginebra’s eventual victory over Phoenix to advance to the PBA...

Advertisement