With a target date for Season 46 already set, the PBA also has its fingers crossed that it can finally hold the 3×3 inaugurals by next year.
Commissioner Willie Marcial said that the league looks to have the tournament months prior to the penciled April 9 date to open next season.
PBA 3×3 was set to roll this season, but the novel coronavirus pandemic happened, and the plan was eventually scrapped.
“Ang 3×3, [susubukan] namin maka-3×3 by February or March, o kung kaya namin, January,” he said Thursday moments after the board meeting.
The formation of PBA 3×3 is the league’s way of showing its commitment to the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas aside from supporting Gilas Pilipinas.
And per vice chair Bobby Rosales’ recommendation, the PBA decided to make it a stand-alone program, with the aim to provide more opportunities for players.
The PBA 3×3 committee was formed last August, with Alaska Aces team governor Richard Bachmann named as its chairman.
PBA technical consultant Joey Guanio is the project director, while SBP 3×3 program head Ronnie Magsanoc is its consultant.
Also part of the board are NorthPort Batang Pier governor Erick Arejola and Phoenix Super LPG’s Atty. Raymond Zorilla.
The league will also welcome the country’s no. 1 3×3 player Joshua Munzon, no. 2 Alvin Pasaol, no. 5 Troy Rike, no. 6 Santi Santillan, and no. 8 Franky Johnson as they decided to enter the 2021 PBA Rookie Draft.
No. 10 Roosevelt Adams and no. 13 Aris Dionisio are also in the PBA, as they were drafted last year.
Marcial, though, said that the league is still in search for the person that will preside the commissionership.
“Hahanap talaga ng full-time na parang commissioner kasi gusto namin mag-standalone talaga ‘yung liga,” he said.
Also up for discussion, still, is the tournament format of the country’s second 3×3 pro league next to Chooks-to-Go Pilipinas 3×3.