Kai Sotto will not be part of the ongoing 2021 G League Season.
Ignite has announced that both camps have mutually agreed that Sotto can no longer enter the league’s bubble at ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Florida.
“Kai and the team both understood the challenges for him to rejoin Ignite given the current international travel constraints, quarantine times, and health and safety protocols,” said NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim.
Back in August of 2020, Sotto signed with G League’s elite prospects program called Ignite. The goal of the program was to develop highly-touted prospects through G League competition and by having former pros mentor the young aspirants. Moreover, prospects were paid, with Sotto having a reported $250,000 contract.
Along with 2021 NBA Draft prospects Jalen Green, Daishen Nix, Isaiah Todd, Jonathan Kuminga, and Principal Singh, Ignite held camp in a state-of-the-art gym in Walnut, Creek.
Last January, the 7-foot-3 Filipino missed Ignite’s camp. He had notified the team that he will be playing for Gilas Pilipinas during the Doha window of the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers set from February 18-23, instead of joining the start of G League’s campaign which began last February 10.
Sotto arrived on February 2 and, together with his dad Ervin, entered quarantine. He was only able to enter Inspire Sports Academy in Calamba, Laguna six days later.
However, the tournament was ultimately postponed due to Qatar entering a lockdown on February 12. Sotto left the country two days later.
Hopes of Sotto re-joining Ignite were shattered when Sotto was still not inside the bubble last Sunday.
Ultimately, Ignite and Sotto had decided that it was best not for the 18-year-old prospect to join the team. Ignite had already played eight games inside the bubble as of Tuesday.
Still, the league hopes that Sotto continues with his journey to the NBA.
“Kai will always be part of the extended Ignite family and we wish him continued success as he pursues his NBA dreams,” said Abdur-Rahim.