Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

2023 FIBA World Cup

Kai Sotto on Chot Reyes: ‘Bata pa lang ako pangarap ko na maging coach ‘yan’


Kai Sotto finally got to play a seniors game in front of a home crowd on Monday evening.

During his Gilas Men debut last year during the FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers – and, later on, the Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Serbia – the games took place behind closed doors.

This time around, the 20-year-old relished playing in front of the 19,829 fans inside the SM Mall of Asia Arena.

And Sotto loved every second of it.

“Siyempre, sobrang happy na every time ko ma-suot ‘yung jersey ng Pilipinas. Pero ibang klaseng pakiramdam, lalo na kapag home court,” shared the 7-foot-3 big man who plays for Adelaide. “First time ko lang maglaro sa home court na may mga taong nanonood, kasi last time nasa bubble kami.

“So it really means a lot from a players’ standpoint to a Filipino standpoint, and talagang nakakapagpasaya ng feeling.”

In his first home game for the seniors’ squad, Sotto got 16 points, 13 rebounds, and four blocks. He helped Gilas take an 84-46 rout of Saudi Arabia.

For every jam he had, the crowd cheered. For every dunk and swat, everyone wooed.

2023-FIBA-World-Cup-Asian-Qualifiers-Gilas-vs-Saudi-Arabia-Kai-Sotto Kai Sotto on Chot Reyes: 'Bata pa lang ako pangarap ko na maging coach 'yan' 2023 FIBA World Cup Basketball Gilas Pilipinas News  - philippine sports news

Despite the show they put on, it was hard to ignore the boos coming from the crowd. And they were not for Saudi Arabia.

Gilas head coach Chot Reyes was public enemy no. 1. Every time he appeared on screen, fans jeered wildly.

And Sotto said that it hurt him to see his mentor being treated that way by his own compatriots.

“One of the main reasons I played sa Gilas kasi nalaman ko si Coach Chot ang coach dahil bata pa lang ako pangarap ko na maging coach yan.

“Sinabi ko sa kanya kanina na ‘yun nga isang karangalan na pinangarap ko ‘yun dati pa, and just to see a guy na willing to sacrifice na saluhin lahat ng mga bad stuff, na nakikita namin na siya sumasalo ng lahat, para sa isang player nakaka-motivate at nakaka-inspire at the same time,” said Sotto.

#ReadMore  Kai Sotto: 'Kung nadidisappoint yung mga fans, pano pa kaya kami?'

During his second stint with Gilas, Reyes had always wanted to give Sotto the best exposure.

He was the one who recommended to the Sotto family to head abroad and be guided by East West Private. Moreover, Sotto was always exposed to the seniors’ team even if he was still at the youth level.

Chooks-to-Go-Signing-Kai-Sotto Kai Sotto on Chot Reyes: 'Bata pa lang ako pangarap ko na maging coach 'yan' 2023 FIBA World Cup Basketball Gilas Pilipinas News  - philippine sports news

And now it’s time for Sotto to give back to the man who trusted him.

“Talagang ako for me I played my best sa itong two games na ‘to para kay Coach Chot,” said Sotto, who averaged 13.0 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 3.0 blocks in Window 4.

Written By


You May Also Like

Basketball

ANTIPOLO – Jordan Heading took the spotlight this time around as the locals continued their solid play for TNT in the opening salvo of...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — The locals shone anew with Jordan Heading coming through this time as TNT drew first blood versus Meralco in the PBA Commissioner’s...

Basketball

The last four teams standing are all aiming for a head start as the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup semifinals get underway later in...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Eighth-ranked TNT completed its ouster of top seed NLEX by way of a 118-112 decision in the knockout match to settle the...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Now, it’s all about getting the job done for TNT and Magnolia to formalize their entry to the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

Roger Pogoy is well aware that it all starts with the veterans if TNT wants to stay alive in the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

TNT kept its title defense bid alive after dragging NLEX to a sudden death by way of a 96-93 decision in a pulsating start...

Basketball

Three second-generation superstars have parted ways with their respective B.League teams following the conclusion of the 2025-26 season. Bobby Ray Parks Jr., Kiefer Ravena,...

Advertisement