After being left in limbo brought about by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Jerwin Ancajas can finally get himself a fight.
The IBF World Junior Bantamweight Champion will fly out to California on Wednesday after securing his US visa.
“Hopefully, we’ll get him in the ring in November.
“We have a mandatory still with the IBF with Jonathan Javier Rodriguez that’s there, but if something happens, a unification would come up with the WBA champion Joshua Franco, that’s on the table also,” said MP Promotions chief Sean Gibbons during an online press conference with sponsor Big Boss Cement.
Ancajas, who is 32-1-2 in his career, was supposed to face Rodriguez last April. Unfortunately, the pandemic stopped the bout from coming to fruition.
The 28-year-old native of Davao del Norte has fought in the US four times, with the last happening back on May 4, 2019.
Since his last bout back in December of last year — a sixth-round TKO win over Miguel Gonzalez — Ancajas has been training in Survival Camp in Cavite.
“Ang ginagawa ni coach, marami akong nakaka-sparring, maraming estilo, para madali kaming mag-adjust,” said Ancajas, since he does not know who his opponent is yet.
For his part, head trainer Joven Jimenez knows that Ancajas will show no rust after an almost year-long layoff.