Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

Chot Reyes on Mikey Williams return: ‘I’m not counting on it’


ANTIPOLO – Don’t expect Mikey Williams to return soon.

While he and TNT are on speaking terms anew, the club is hardly optimistic that the star guard is coming over for the ongoing Philippine Cup — at least.

“Let’s put it this way: I’m not counting on it,” said no less than head coach Chot Reyes Sunday night. “This conference, I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

The straightforward mentor said as much in light of reports that both camps are again in talks for a possible reunion after a couple of years.

It came out days after the Tropang 5G fell to their third loss in as many games in the conference following a 95-81 blowout at the hands of Phoenix last Friday.

That losing skid is no more, though, after they edged San Miguel, 89-84, at the Ynares Center here, paving the way for Reyes to be asked about the matter.

Fans and pundits, especially of the flagship MVP franchise, have long been looking for the conclusion of what’s been a protracted contract impasse.

Williams last played in Game 6 of the 2023 Governors’ Cup in which he led the team to the crown past Ginebra, eventually getting Finals MVP honors.

He’s never rejoined the team since then as the fourth overall pick of the 2021 Draft and TNT could not find a middle ground for a new deal.

But contrary to popular belief, the communication is still there, Reyes bared.

“We’ve always been talking naman eh. There were times na matagal kaming hindi nagkakausap, a few months. Pero we’re talking,” he said.

#ReadMore  Named to PBA 50 Greatest, June Mar Fajardo reflects: ‘May magbe-break din ng record ko'

Williams, though, did show up last January 17 and watched his team beat the Kings by way of a 91-86 decision in a Season 49 Commissioner’s Cup tiff.

He was in town for an overseas stint with Strong Group Athletics and his appearance courtside, of course, sparked speculations of his return.

Still, Reyes reiterated that the 33-year-old coming back remains unlikely.

“We never stopped naman eh. Is that a good step? I think so. At least the communication lines are open. But like I said, we’re not banking on it,” he said.

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.


You May Also Like

Basketball

For a change, Coach Leo Austria will now have to devise schemes against June Mar Fajardo in the highly anticipated 2026 PBA All-Star Game...

Basketball

San Miguel completed a PBA Philippine Cup repeat following a masterful 92-77 conquest of TNT in Game 6 of the Finals, Sunday night. No...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO – San Miguel moved a win away from defending its PBA Philippine Cup kingship following a solid display of resolve to frustrate TNT,...

Basketball

Roger Pogoy has no plans to sit out Game 5 of the PBA Season 50 Philippine Cup, despite re-aggravating his hamstring injury. The TNT...

Basketball

TNT rebounded from the heartbreaking loss it suffered last time out with a brutal 110-87 beatdown of San Miguel, tying things up in the...

Basketball

CJ Perez landed the painful haymakers in the clutch to save San Miguel past TNT, 95-89, and take the 2-1 in the PBA Season...

Basketball

Nine-time PBA MVP June Mar Fajardo and Barangay Ginebra’s Japeth Aguilar are bringing their showdown to the PBA All-Star Weekend, topping fan votes to...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — San Miguel evened things out in the PBA Season 50 Philippine Cup Finals after turning the tables on TNT with a decisive...

Advertisement