Connect with us
[adinserter block="13"] [adinserter block="3"]

PFF Women’s Invitational Cup: Draws Mark Day 4 Morning Session



The morning matches of Day 4 of the PFF Women’s Invitational Cup ended in stalemates as Green Archers United (GAU) and Sikat FC, and De La Salle University (DLSU) and University of Santo Tomas (UST) remained knotted after 90 minutes.

GAU, Sikat FC settle for draw in controversial finish

Philippine Sports News - Tiebreaker Times PFF Women’s Invitational Cup: Draws Mark Day 4 Morning Session

Green Archers United (GAU) could have walked away with the win, only the match officials nullified a late own goal of Sikat FC, forcing the match to end at 1-apiece.

The first half was a toe-to-toe battle between the two teams in search for a breakthrough goal. GAU started on the right foot with several deliveries into their attacking third that ended with an attempt by Carmela Bautista. Sikat’s keeper Jezza Baron stopped the shot and kept the game goalless.

On the other side of the pitch, the visitors upped their aggression on offense in the succeeding minutes. Team captain Amanda Fernandez received several passes from the midfield, but was unable to convert. The halftime ended with both teams knotted at 0.

Both teams continued their search for the go-ahead goal at the second period, but their attempts towards their opponent’s backline went unrewarded. The tussle was finally broken at the 64th minute when GAU winger Leah Cruz slotted the ball past Baron from an indirect free kick to get the first goal of the match. The lead did not last long, as Sikat FC leveled it again five minutes after on Natasha Alquiros penalty kick.

Just a few seconds from full time, Marianne Narciso broke free from the defense. The former UST standout tapped the ball into the goal. Sikat’s Angelica Martinez tried to clear it, but instead the ball went it. The match officials, however, disallowed the goal as a questionable call was reportedly committed before the shot, much to the dismay of the whole GAU team. The final whistle sounded with the teams settling for the draw, 1-1.

As of presstime, GAU was in the process of filing a formal complaint with regards to the controversial officiating.

Late Tigress goal forces draw with Lady Archers

Philippine Sports News - Tiebreaker Times PFF Women’s Invitational Cup: Draws Mark Day 4 Morning Session

UST’s Charisa Lemoran denied the DLSU Lady Archers their third straight win, and ended the match with another 1-all score line.

The Tigresses played aggressively at the start of the match anchored by Jennizel Cabalan. The winger had several attempts on DLSU’s goal, only she was denied by Inna Palacios. On the other hand, the Taft-based squad tried to work on the flanks with Nicole Andaya. At the 39th minute, DLSU broke the deadlock when Kyla Inquig sent a lovely free kick into the box. Kyra Dimaandal flicked the pass towards the opposing custodian Ivy Lopez who deflected tha ball. Andaya was quick enough to react and tapped the ball into the back of the net. The first half ended with the Lady Archers up 1-0.

UST continued their offensive intensity at the second half. Cabalan and Lemora tried to breach the defense, but was repeatedly denied by Palacios and Angge Metillo. The Tigresses did not let up and kept on fighting up to the last minute. The visitors pounced on a tired DLSU defense at stoppage time to pluck an equalizer. Hazel Lustan sent a low cross to Lemoran, who blasted the ball past the DLSU keeper. The match ended with DLSU and UST tied at 1.


Grew to appreciate various sports from tennis to judo. True-maroon kiddo since the new millennium. Fanboy. Singer. Occasional sports writer.