Connect with us

Manila Jeepney zooms past 10-man Team Socceroo



The Manila Jeepney FC made quick work of Team Socceroo, 5-0, on the second day of the United Football League (UFL) second round fixture, Sunday June 21, 2015 at the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium

It was a one-sided affair during the first half of the game. As early as the seventh minute, Jeepney was able to take the lead. A cross that was poorly cleared by Socceroo ended up on the able legs of Park Su Hyun, who then slammed it into the back of the net. It was a sign of things to come and the complexion of the game. Throughout the half, Team Socceroo only had two chances. During the 15th and 27th minutes, Beleu-Ebi Cleopas’ shot went wide, while his cross to Jerome Cuyos inside the box did not connect.

Socceroo’s struggles were further heightened when Justin Mengane was given his second yellow card after fouling Jeepney striker Koffi Kouassi. The resulting free kick ended up to be a costly one not only for the sending off, but also having the U23 Azkal midfielder Arnel Amita managing to snipe the ball expertly beyond Sampana’s reach to double his team’s advantage.

Leading by two, Manila Jeepney continued to pressure the Socceroo defense. A few minutes after their last goal, FEU standout Eric Giganto was able to penetrate the box but his shot was not able to threaten Socceroo goalie Baba Sampana. Manila Jeepney had more attempts before the end of the half but the opposing team’s back line was able to hold and prevent further damage. The first half ended in favor of Manila Jeepney, 2-0.

In the second half, Jeepney again started strong and within four minutes from the restart was able to take their third goal. Kouassi, who took a blow in the dying seconds of the first half, found his bearings and added another goal for his team. Three minutes after the hour mark, Jeepney’s continued pressure helped reward Park Su Hyun his second and his team’s fourth goal. Gary Epesso perfectly placed a pass to Park, who was inside the box, the Korean was able to guide the ball past the well-beaten Sampana.

Being up by four was not enough for Los Manileños, as they added another goal courtesy of Amita at the 73rd minute. The midfielder was able to free himself from his defenders and was able to shoot the ball. To the dismay of Team Socceroo, the ball, despite hitting the post, bounced into the net. After giving away five goals in the match, Socceroo defended astutely in order to prevent more misery coming their way until full time.

The win enabled Jeepney to overtake Pachanga-Diliman FC with eight points and stands in seventh place. They will face title aspirants Stallion FC on Wednesday, while Team Socceroo is stays in ninth place with just four points and will face Loyola Meralco Sparks FC on Tuesday.

Click to comment