Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

19th Asian Games

Gilas resilience shines as they defy withdrawal amidst Asiad challenges


Gilas Pilipinas could have surrendered after encountering another obstacle just days before the 19th Asian Games.

On Monday evening, the officials of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas were informed that Calvin Abueva, Terrence Romeo, Mo Tautuaa, and Jason Perkins would not be cleared by the Hangzhou Asian Games Organizing Committee to join the Philippine team.

Abueva and Perkins were not on the list of 60, while Romeo and Tautuaa were absent from the roster of 37.

According to team manager Alfrancis Chua, it was an emotional night at Inspire Sports Academy.

“It was very emotional. We talked to the four, talagang iyakan,” shared Chua, noting that Abueva was the one hit hard by the development.

“Kahit sa sandaling oras na nagkasama kami, talagang naging solid ang team.”

In just two weeks, Tim Cone stepped up to become the national team head coach after Chot Reyes resigned from the position. A few days after taking the job, Cone, Chua, and the rest of the SBP began assembling a makeshift team.

They started practicing at both the Philsports Arena and Inspire.

Just when everyone thought the path to Hangzhou was clear, the biggest challenge arose. It tested their determination, and the thought of quitting crossed their minds.

It would have been completely understandable if they had withdrawn, as Lebanon did earlier in the day.

“Dami nagsasabi mag-withdraw para hindi na sumakit ulo namin,” said Chua.

However, the original seven players, led by June Mar Fajardo, had no intention of giving up.

“The question of Tim was if the four will be out, he asked the seven players, wala na yung apat, are you guys willing to play? The easiest way is wag na lang. Hindi na sasali yung Pilipinas. And the seven players — the first one who answered was June Mar, everybody wanted to play,” said Chua.

“And dami na naming sleepless nights, coming from the players and Coach Tim, they want to play.”

Now, Gilas will accelerate the integration of Kevin Alas, Marcio Lassiter, Chris Ross, Arvin Tolentino, and CJ Perez. Together, they remain determined to win gold or give it their all trying.

#ReadMore  Eya Laure makes vow to Rondina: 'Mamahalin ko rin yung UST'
Written By


You May Also Like

Basketball

It’s been years since Nike released a Philippine-themed basketball shoe in the market, but that long of a wait has come to an end,...

2026 Asian Games

Tim Cone will have his hands full after the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup concludes. Instead of preparing just one Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Gilas Pilipinas Men is adding another talent to its compact pool by calling up Justin Arana in anticipation of a busy summer...

Basketball

Just the idea of playing alongside Justin Brownlee while representing Gilas Pilipinas in this year’s Asian Games excites Bennie Boatwright. That’s actually part of...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Bennie Boatwright feels excited to begin his naturalization process now that he’s back in Manila to reinforce San Miguel in the PBA...

3x3 Basketball

Gilas Pilipinas Men turned a narrow loss into fuel for their campaign as they advanced to the knockout stages of the FIBA 3×3 Asia...

Basketball

Despite going winless in the second window of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 Asian Qualifiers, Justin Brownlee believes Gilas Pilipinas still “won a...

Basketball

From UAAP foes to potential Gilas Pilipinas teammates, Quentin Millora-Brown is ready to turn rivalry into brotherhood — and the catalyst for that transformation...

Advertisement