Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Basketball

Deputy commissionership left vacant as PBA undergoes shakeup

The deputy commissionership role could be vacant when the PBA heads into its golden season following a major shakeup within its highest office.

Previously the man in charge of the said position, Eric Castro has been made the head of operations, according to no less than Commissioner Willie Marcial.

“Si Mr. Eric Castro, inilagay na natin sa operations,” the league chieftain said during the pre-Season 50 presser on Wednesday at Shangri-La at The Fort.

The former coach’s transfer to another department was just part of the rigodon that Marcial’s office has undergone months after the controversial endgame of the Season 49 Philippine Cup Finals’ Game 1 between San Miguel and TNT.

The Beermen eventually reclaimed the Perpetual trophy in six games, but the series was remembered more by many for the reversal of Mo Tautua’a’s dunk in the dying seconds, which could have helped SMB take the series opener.

2025-PBA-Philippine-Cup-Finals-G1-SMB-vs-TNT-Mo-Tautuaa Deputy commissionership left vacant as PBA undergoes shakeup Basketball News PBA  - philippine sports news

(C) PBA Images

Castro, who was appointed as deputy commissioner months after Marcial was named commish in 2018, also served as head of the technical group.

But that spot has been assigned to Joey Guanio, a former player-turned-executive who was once the tournament director of PBA 3×3.

Not spared from the changes as well was Bong Pascual, who has been replaced by Nol Quilingen as head of referees, Marcial disclosed.

“Si Nol Quliingen, na retired na as referee, ginawa na nating head of referees,” said Marcial during the presser attended by the Board of Governors.

Pascual, also the head of referees of the SBP Technical Academy, remains with the league but has yet to be given a new role, according to Marcial.

#ReadMore  PBA Govs' Cup tips off with Alapag's NLEX debut, Titan Ultra forced to go All-Filipino

“Si Bong Pascual, nandiyan pa rin naman,” he said. “Pero tingnan natin kung anong maco-contribute niya sa liga.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

Riley Grigsby won’t be fully let go by Barangay Ginebra. The American forward will remain as the Kings’ standby import, with the perennial contenders...

Basketball

Jordon Varnado impressed in his PBA debut after helping Meralco snap its depressing four-game losing slide in the Season 50 Governors’ Cup at the...

Basketball

Jimmy Alapag is banking on familiarity as he’s bringing in Deonte Burton to serve as NLEX’s new import with DeQuan Jones out due to...

Basketball

Converge outlasted an all-Filipino NLEX side, 112-110, to notch back-to-back wins for the first time in quite some time in the PBA Season 50...

Basketball

Rivals will take center stage before the PBA heads into a lengthy break as Ginebra and Meralco face off again in what should be...

Basketball

As the 12:00 PM deadline for lineup changes passed on Thursday, NLEX did not submit a replacement for DeQuan Jones. The Road Warriors have...

Basketball

Meralco has activated its original import ahead of its rivalry game against Ginebra in the 2026 PBA Governors’ Cup. The Bolts have replaced Antonio...

Basketball

In the wake of Bryan Sajonia’s injury, Titan Ultra has nixed its transaction with TNT involving Joshua Munzon. With Sajonia out for the remainder...

Advertisement