The Philippine Superliga (PSL) formally canceled the Grand Prix following the decision of President Rodrigo Duterte to place the entire Luzon under enhanced community quarantine due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.
PSL chairman Philip Ella Juico disclosed the development, saying that they had no choice but to call off the import-laced conference as they put a premium on the health and safety of the athletes, coaches, officials and other stakeholders.
Juico said they encourage both local and foreign players to go home to be with their loved ones in these trying times.
He said the league will continue to monitor and assess the situation in a bid to resume the Grand Prix to a later date, or once the window for international transfer formally opens around October.
“We are putting the welfare of our fans and players above anything else,” said Juico, a seasoned sports executive and president of the Philippine Amateur Track and Field Association.
Prior to the outbreak of the deadly pulmonary disease, the league was having one of the finest editions of the Grand Prix.
Foreign players like Americans Katherine Bell of Petron and Lindsay Stalzer of F2 Logistics, Montenegrin Tatjana Bokan of Chery Tiggo, French Maeva Orle of PLDT Home Fibr and Canadian Shainah Joseph of Sta. Lucia made a massive impact in their first few games, prompting sideliners to tag them as the best batch of imports the league had ever seen.
Orle, in fact, even erupted for 50 points in a heart-stopping five-set loss to the Crossovers last March 10.
PSL president Ian Laurel said their decision to call off the ongoing Grand Prix wasn’t easy.
“We needed to evaluate the situation and came up with this tough decision,” said Laurel, adding that they will call for a “special team owners meeting” as soon as the situation improves to plot the resumption of the centerpiece conference at the end of the season.
“But we will be back with a bang when all of these are over.”
So far, the Philippines has 380 cases of the coronavirus with a death toll of 25, prompting the national government to encourage everyone to go on quarantine while putting a halt to large gatherings like sports events, concerts, and conventions.
Mikee Cojuangco shares showbiz paid for her equestrian goals
Deanna Wong not closing doors on Ateneo return
Baser Amer understands Evan Nelle’s decision to transfer to La Salle
Chot Reyes on son Josh: ‘The things that happened to me, naapektuhan din siya’
Ateneo commit Yana Bautista, 17, passes away due to COVID-19
At 15, Kielvj stopped school for ML — and has mom’s full support
PVL to stick with ABS-CBN even after non-renewal of franchise
KarlTzy clutch as BREN Esports hailed as MLBB SEA champions
UAAP fetes gen champs, athlete-scholars, honors MVPs, second sem athletes
Chooks-to-Go donates 5,000 pcs of dressed chicken to CESAFI
Barangay Ginebra reunite in SMC HQ, pack PPEs for frontliners
Makati survives Ablaza injury, San Juan to force MPBL North Game Three
- ADMU5 days ago
6-6 Fil-Am Zavier Lucero receives interest from four UAAP schools
- 2023 FIBA World Cup4 days ago
Chot Reyes on ideal naturalized player: ‘We need a tall guy who can also play outside’
- Mixed Martial Arts4 days ago
As ONE rolls out live events, Team Lakay remains ready
- Mixed Martial Arts5 days ago
Joey Lepiten breaks silence on ‘when referees fight back’ incident