Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

2021 FIBA Asia Cup

SBP yet to discuss November window with PBA, bares Willie Marcial

PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial said that the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) has not mentioned anything to the league about the FIBA Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers’ second window set in November.

In an online press conference held by the league Thursday afternoon, the amiable executive said that it is just the February 2021 window that has been brought up to him by SBP President Al Panlilio.

“Walang sinasabi po sa’min ang SBP regarding sa November,” said Marcial. “Ang sinabi po sa’kin, February, ni Presidente Al Panlilio.

“Yung November po, wala pa po kaming pinaguusapan doon.”

FIBA last week announced that it will resume all its continental cup qualifiers through mini-bubbles, which will be held in countries yet to be announced. Such set-up will be used in the next two windows.

That may seem to be good news especially for hoop fans since FIBA meets have been suspended last March due to the pandemic. However, the country’s basketball federation was caught by surprise.

“I was just talking to Boss Al last night and he did not mention it. So I presume this is new news to him just like it is for me,” said Gilas Men’s Program Director Tab Baldwin in a recent interview with Tiebreaker Times.

The SBP, until now, does not have an idea yet who will comprise the Gilas crew for the November window, where it will face Group A leaders and long-time tormentors South Korea as well as regional rival Thailand.

But most likely, the PBA cagers part of the national team pool is out of the equation since they are heading inside the bubble in Clark, Pampanga next week for the resumption the league’s 45th season.

#ReadMore  Jordan coach anticipates RHJ to bring experience, skill, and fans to Al Nashama

The season restart will be on Oct. 11, and the compressed tournament will end by the third week of December,

Back in the ACQ’s first window back in February, Kiefer Ravena, Troy Rosario, Roger Pogoy, Poy Erram, CJ Perez, Abu Tratter, and Justin Chua were the pros who bannered the Gilas team that drubbed Indonesia, 100-70.

Still, Marcial assured once again that Asia’s pioneering pro league will remain supportive of whatever the federation’s plans is for the Gilas program.

“Wala pong pagbabago, yun pa rin po ang sinasabi ng team owners, governors. Kung ano pong kailangan ng SBP na matutulong namin, ibibigay po ng PBA. All out support pa rin po kami, one hundred percent.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

Following the non-renewal of Pat Aquino as head coach, major changes have been made to the Gilas Pilipinas Women program ahead of the FIBA...

Basketball

It’s been years since Nike released a Philippine-themed basketball shoe in the market, but that long of a wait has come to an end,...

2026 Asian Games

Tim Cone will have his hands full after the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup concludes. Instead of preparing just one Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Gilas Pilipinas Men is adding another talent to its compact pool by calling up Justin Arana in anticipation of a busy summer...

Basketball

Just the idea of playing alongside Justin Brownlee while representing Gilas Pilipinas in this year’s Asian Games excites Bennie Boatwright. That’s actually part of...

3x3 Basketball

For the first time, the Philippines will host both a FIBA 3×3 Women’s Series leg and a Challenger event. The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Bennie Boatwright feels excited to begin his naturalization process now that he’s back in Manila to reinforce San Miguel in the PBA...

3x3 Basketball

Gilas Pilipinas Men turned a narrow loss into fuel for their campaign as they advanced to the knockout stages of the FIBA 3×3 Asia...

Advertisement