Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
Photo from G League Ignite

2021 FIBA Asia Cup

Shaw says Kai Sotto will face ‘better competition’ in G League than in FIBA Asia Cup


Kai Sotto announced his decision to commit to Gilas Pilipinas, Thursday.

But apparently, G League head coach Brian Shaw only learned this after Ignite’s 99-125 loss to the vets, Friday.

“That’s news to me. I haven’t heard that yet,” said Shaw, a member of Team USA’s 1986 team that won gold in the FIBA World Championships.

With the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, G League’s plans for Ignite have been limited to training camps and scrimmages in Walnut Creek, California.

That is why for Shaw, having the 18-year-old Filipino gain more games under his belt will only lead to good things.

“That’s a good thing if he wants to play and represent his country, and try to help them qualify for the upcoming international events,” he continued.

“As much basketball as Kai is going to play is going to benefit him.”

However, if Shaw were to decide, he would rather have the 7-foot-2 big man stay in California than head back home. He cited that the select teams they are facing are better than what Gilas will face in the Clark window of the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers.

The G League is planning to hold a bubble with other G League teams come January or Ferbuary.

“I still believe that the competition he will be playing here in the bubble will be better competition than what he will be playing there.

“[But] That’s the decision he will make and we will have to live with it,” the former Denver Nuggets head coach opined.

During Ignite’s December scrimmages, the Ateneo product averaged 5.5 points on a combined 2-of-8 shooting from the field with 5.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.

#ReadMore  Here's why Gilas' triple towers will miss FIBA first window

Though relatively low compared to teammates like Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga – both of whom are swingmen – Shaw shared that he has been impressed with what Sotto has done for Ignite so far.

“The way the game goes, he is not going to put up super great numbers in a situation like this because it’s a guard game,” bared Shaw, who played the role of combo guard during his 15-year NBA career.

“He doesn’t get as many touches as everyone does, but you can see his skillset, his IQ, he does a lot of good things out there on the court. You can’t really judge him by how many points he gets here and there. He is getting stronger and getting a better understanding. He’s improving and I’m really, really impressed with his skill set for a guy his size.”

Written By


You May Also Like

Basketball

Three second-generation superstars have parted ways with their respective B.League teams following the conclusion of the 2025-26 season. Bobby Ray Parks Jr., Kiefer Ravena,...

Basketball

It’s been years since Nike released a Philippine-themed basketball shoe in the market, but that long of a wait has come to an end,...

2026 Asian Games

Tim Cone will have his hands full after the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup concludes. Instead of preparing just one Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Gilas Pilipinas Men is adding another talent to its compact pool by calling up Justin Arana in anticipation of a busy summer...

Basketball

Just the idea of playing alongside Justin Brownlee while representing Gilas Pilipinas in this year’s Asian Games excites Bennie Boatwright. That’s actually part of...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Bennie Boatwright feels excited to begin his naturalization process now that he’s back in Manila to reinforce San Miguel in the PBA...

3x3 Basketball

Gilas Pilipinas Men turned a narrow loss into fuel for their campaign as they advanced to the knockout stages of the FIBA 3×3 Asia...

Basketball

Despite going winless in the second window of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 Asian Qualifiers, Justin Brownlee believes Gilas Pilipinas still “won a...

Advertisement