Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Golf

Que eyes breakthrough at Luisita as 46 Filipinos join ADT Open field


LUISITA — A 46-strong local contingent will tee it up on Wednesday in the $100,000 (around P6 million) Bingo Plus Philippine ADT Open at the historic Luisita course here, with the most established ace in the field chasing a career-first win at the Robert Trent Jones-designed layout.

“Yes, I haven’t. That’s why I am motivated,” Angelo Que said, referring to a victory at the storied venue that has hosted several major international and local events, including multiple Philippine Opens. “It’s never too late to win one (here), although the course is playing much tougher from what I am used to.”

The 47-year-old Que, who joined the traditional Pro-Am on Tuesday, noted that the course “has gotten longer” after recent rains softened the fairways over the past few days, adding, “The greens are also slow (during the event) and that could be a problem if they decide to speed them up for the tournament.”

This marks the second major professional event hosted by the National Golf Association of the Philippines this year, following the President’s Cup at Wack Wack in January. A third is set with the Asian Tour’s International Series Philippine Open at Manila Southwoods later this year.

Que, who won the last Philippine Golf Tour stop at Caliraya in come-from-behind fashion last month, said that with a full field that also includes 82 international entries, the battle for the title is wide open. He also named Sean Ramos, a past ADT leg winner, and big-hitting Keanu Jahns as two other Filipinos to watch.

Clyde Mondilla, another former Philippine Open champion like Que, is also in the field, along with Fidel Concepcion, who broke through as a pro last year at Apo Golf in Davao—a layout that shares striking similarities with Luisita.

#ReadMore  UAAP 85 GVB: Adamson, NSNU cruise to third straight wins

A lean but talented amateur field will also see action. Shinichi Suzuki, a multiple-time Philippine team member playing out of Manila Southwoods, leads a six-man amateur group that includes Rolando Bregente and Chris Remata.

This will be the sixth of 13 stops on the ADT season, which will also stage tournaments in Thailand, Malaysia, and Saudi Arabia.

The highest-ranked Filipino in the ADT Order of Merit entering Luisita at No. 10, Ramos comes off a three-man playoff loss in the ADT Players Championship in Malaysia last month and will be eager to bounce back on home soil.

Written By


You May Also Like

Golf

Shinichi Suzuki recovered from a stumble out of the gates on a damp Saturday and, once he got going, gave Rolando Bregente no chance...

Golf

Rolando Bregente survived a cold putting day to edge Emilio Hernandez, 1-up, and book his place in the men’s final of the NGAP National...

Golf

Rolando Bregente delivered two dominant victories, while Grace Quintanilla survived a grueling test as the top-ranked men’s and women’s seeds advanced to the semifinals...

Golf

Rolando Bregente matched par with a 72 despite rainy conditions on Wednesday to secure the top seed in the men’s division of the NGAP...

Golf

Newly crowned Singapore Amateur Open champion Grace Quintanilla made her return to local competition in impressive fashion on Tuesday, carding a level-par 72 to...

Golf

Jet Hernandez moved within one round of successfully defending his men’s crown in the NGAP National Stroke Play Championship after firing an eagle-aided three-under...

Golf

Jet Hernandez and young Lisa Sarines stayed red-hot and unrelenting on Thursday, opening commanding leads in their respective divisions of the NGAP National Stroke...

Golf

Jet Hernandez surged to a commanding start in the National Strokeplay Championship on a rain-soaked Wednesday, firing a seven-under-par 65 to open up a...

Advertisement