PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial said that he has reminded the suspended Calvin Abueva that there remains a process even if he has completed all the requirements needed for his reinstatement in the league.
“Nag-usap na kami ni Calvin last Thursday. Nagkumustuhan kami, maganda ‘yung kwentuhan. Sinasabi ko sa kanya na, ‘Calvin may proseso pa na gagawin,’” Marcial told Tuesday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum.
“Ang maganda rito, nagkausap kami, naintindihan niya ako, at naiintindihan ko siya,” he added in the weekly session powered by SMART and presented by San Miguel Corp. Go For Gold, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, MILO, and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), with Upstream Media as webcast partner.
Abueva disclosed to the Sports Page program last week that he is just waiting for the verdict of the Commissioner following the fulfillment of the tasks given to him as part of his bid to return to the league.
Those requirements were drug tests, psychological therapy sessions, and community service activities — all of which, according to him, he has completed, since he wants to prove he deserves another shot.
“Tapos na lahat, resulta na lang ang hinihintay,” the forward nicknamed the Beast said. “Hanggang ngayon, ‘yun ang hinihintay ko — kung ano ang sasabihin ni Commissioner sa ginawa ko.”
The eight-year pro got slapped with an indefinite ban following a spate of on-court incidents, one of which was his clothesline hit on TNT import Terrence Jones. He was also made to pay a fine that totaled P 70,000.
The third-year commissioner, however, did not disclose what that process, in particular, is as he would like to protect Abueva. But Marcial is proud about the progress the 32-year-old has made.
“Hindi ko lang pwede masiwalat sa inyo kung papaano para sa proteksyon at para sa ikabubuti ng lahat,” Marcial said.
“Pero para sa akin, maganda. May improvement si Calvin.”