Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

Boxing

Reduced to a spectator, Jonas Sultan takes the situation in stride

Jonas Sultan (12-3, 8KO) was supposed to headline last Sunday’s main event in Makati City as he was set to defend his International Boxing Federation Inter-Continental Super Flyweight crown against Sonny Boy Jaro. Instead, he only watched the whole card as his bout was scrapped two days prior to fight night.

When he first heard about what happened, Sultan shared that thought that it was a prank, as he and his team had just arrived from Cebu. But when the news started to come out from different media outlets, he then came to realize that the fight will truly not happen.

“Sa akin, medyo na-shock ako nung isang gabi kasi kala ko talaga matutuloy tapos nabalitaan ko na nag-pullout si Sonny Boy,” the 25-year-old Cebuano told Tiebreaker Times. “Kala ko kasi joke-joke lang yun ba? Pero totoo pala.

“Hindi ako talaga naniwala nung una. Kala ko baka trip-trip lang yan kasi nakuha ko na yung timbang ko nun eh. Kinabukasan, sigurado na pala na di tuloy. Cancelled na talaga yung laban kaya na-shock ako ba.”

“Zorro” was scheduled to face Jaro for his first title defense after winning the IBF belt by knocking out Makazole Tete in South Africa last December. Unfortunately, the former world champion had to pull out of the fight after contracting urinary track infection, forcing Shape Up Boxing Promotion’s Anson Tiu Co to postpone the fight.

Although it was disappointing for him not to defend his belt, Jonas came to understand the situation given to him and his supposed opponent. According to him, he’ll be leaving the decision on his next move up to his management.

“Hindi naman natin inaasahan yung mangyayari eh. Hindi naman natin maitutuloy yung laban kasi ganyan yung nanyari [kay Jaro],” he said.

“Pero okay lang naman sakin, handang-handa ako kung kailan man matutuloy.”

As for Tiu Co, the promotion are in constant communication with the IBF, saying that they’re planning to have the fight rescheduled at the earliest possible date.

“We’ve contacted with Mr. Lindsey Tucker from IBF and sinabi namin na we would like the fight to happen as soon as possible. Either late April or early May,” Tiu Co said, adding that he wants to have the fight in Makati or in Bulacan.

Written By

Tiebreaker Times Logo

You May Also Like

Boxing

Last month, MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons stressed that Eumir Marcial will be the last pugilist to be added to its stable. “We are...

Boxing

International Boxing Federation World Light Flyweight champion Milan “El Metodico” Melindo overcame two bad cuts and a gutsy Hekkie Budler to retain his crown...

Boxing

There were some concerns with the main event of Pinoy Pride 42, as co-headliner Milan Melindo checked in overweight. But after a brief scare,...

Boxing

Seven years since its inception, Pinoy Pride continues to be a platform for Pinoy boxers to showcase their skills on a nationwide scale. And...

Boxing

Another marquee fight has been added to Pinoy Pride 42, as Jonas Sultan (13-3, 9KO) will be taking on former IBF World Flyweight champion Johnriel...

Boxing

ALA Promotions’ Jonas “Zorro” Sultan (13-3, 9KOs) made a successful title defense of his IBF Inter-Continental Super Flyweight belt after securing an eighth round...

Boxing

Rising star Jonas Sultan (12-3) faces the biggest challenge of his young career, as he is set to defend his IBF Intercontinental Super Flyweight...

Boxing

Former world champion Sonny Boy Jaro made a successful return to ring. Jaro (43-13-5, 30KO) outpointed, 99-92, 96-94, 97-93, Marjun Pantilgan (11-4, 10KO) to...

Advertisement