Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) PVL Images

News

PNVF blocks ITCs, forces PVL to launch Reinforced Conference with all-Filipino lineups


Foreign reinforcements were expected to set the Premier Volleyball League Reinforced Conference ablaze, but opening day instead unfolded with an all-Filipino cast after the Philippine National Volleyball Federation refused to endorse the International Transfer Certificates required for imports to play.

In a statement, PVL organizer Sports Vision expressed its deep frustration over what it described as “unprofessional” and “obstructionist” behavior by the national federation.

Despite the timely submission of all documentation — including signed clearances from the players, their respective federations, and PVL clubs — the PNVF withheld the final endorsement necessary for the foreign athletes to take the floor.

“The PVL regrets to inform the public that the foreign guest players will not be permitted to participate in the ongoing season-ending conference until their ITCs are duly approved,” said Sports Vision.

The impasse not only disrupts the competitive integrity of the tournament but also jeopardizes the careers and contracts of professional players who traveled to the Philippines in good faith.

The PVL stressed that it remains committed to following international volleyball protocols and upholding the integrity of the sport, even as the standoff leaves both players and fans in limbo.

2025-PVL-Reinforced-Conference-ZUS-Coffee PNVF blocks ITCs, forces PVL to launch Reinforced Conference with all-Filipino lineups News PVL Volleyball  - philippine sports news

(C) PVL Images

“We respectfully urge the PNVF to expedite the signing process to prevent further disruption to the tournament,” the statement added.

But sources close to the matter say the deadlock is not merely procedural. Insiders claim the PNVF is leveraging ITC approval as a bargaining chip, allegedly pressing the PVL to cut its calendar short to accommodate preparations for the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand.

#ReadMore  MPBL: Nueva Ecija weathers Zamboanga's furious rally, moves on cusp of national title

The federation reportedly demanded that the Reinforced Conference wrap up by November 16, despite the league already structuring its run until November 27, including the finals.

PVL officials noted they had previously adjusted their calendar in deference to the national team, moving the start of the conference until after the squad’s commitments ended on September 30.

“Preparations have been made in good faith based on the schedule given to us. But then, at the last minute, the PNVF changed the terms,” said a league official.

“Is the PVL composed only of players in the national team? What happens to the rest of Philippine volleyball — its growth, its fans, its professional clubs — if all PNVF programs are implemented unilaterally and disruptively?”

With the standoff unresolved, the PVL had no choice but to launch its Reinforced Conference with all-local lineups, denying fans the spectacle of high-caliber imports — a hallmark of the format.

Opening-day matches at the Ynares Center in Montalban featured ZUS Coffee versus Akari and Capital1 squaring off with Choco Mucho, all with all-Filipino rosters. Notably absent from the floor were reinforcements like ZUS Coffee’s Anna DeBeer and Akari’s Annie Mitchem.

2025-PVL-Reinforced-Conference-Akari PNVF blocks ITCs, forces PVL to launch Reinforced Conference with all-Filipino lineups News PVL Volleyball  - philippine sports news

(C) PVL Images

League officials and stakeholders are now openly questioning the effectiveness and motives of the PNVF, accusing it of prioritizing political control over genuine development.

While the federation is tasked with advancing Philippine volleyball, critics argue its actions have instead alienated stakeholders, stunted progress, and undermined the operations of the country’s most successful professional league.

“What real contribution has the PNVF made to the growth of volleyball in the country? Aside from asserting authority and taking credit for the achievements of others, what lasting legacy are they building?” another official asked.

#ReadMore  Converge whips Meralco, ties for third in PBA Comm's Cup standings

The ITC controversy has once again spotlighted the widening rift between the sport’s governing body and its top professional league — a clash that continues to divide fans and threatens to stall volleyball’s momentum in the Philippines.

As of press time, the PNVF has yet to release an official statement explaining its refusal to sign off on the ITCs.

Written By


You May Also Like

News

Unfazed by the star power of their opponents, Roselle Baliton delivered her best performance of the tournament to lead Galeries Tower’s dramatic upset of...

News

Lyann De Guzman refused to make excuses after Nxled suffered a shocking defeat to Galeries Tower in one of the biggest upsets of the...

News

Galeries Tower pulled off the biggest upset of the tournament yet, stunning a MJ Phillips-less Nxled in four sets, 25-19, 17-25, 25-20, 25-21, for...

News

Majoy Baron remains a relentless force in defense, with her dominance at the net proving crucial in propelling PLDT to a perfect 3-0 start...

News

PLDT bounced back from a second-set stumble to keep Akari winless, claiming a four-set victory, 25-22, 25-27, 25-21, 25-15, and maintaining its unbeaten run...

News

Despite back-to-back wins, Creamline is still chasing its peak form in the 2026 Premier Volleyball League All-Filipino Conference. The Cool Smashers bounced back from...

News

Creamline bounced back from an opening-set loss before overpowering ZUS Coffee in four sets, 22-25, 25-17, 25-16, 25-18, to secure back-to-back wins in the...

News

There are moments in an athlete’s life when everything suddenly feels bigger and brighter. For Capital1 rookie Bella Belen, being named Ms. Volleyball by...

Advertisement