Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) PBA Images

Basketball

Jimmy Alapag finally gets chance to congratulate Marcio Lassiter on three-point record

Jimmy Alapag had one simple request for Marcio Lassiter when two of the PBA’s greatest shooters crossed paths on Sunday night.

The moment came during NLEX’s victory over San Miguel in the PBA Season 50 Governors’ Cup, their first meeting since the Beermen’s sharpshooter surpassed the 2011 MVP on the league’s all-time three-pointers made list.

“He’s absolutely well-deserving of it, and I even told him after the game, ‘Keep going,'” he said after their 110-96 victory at the SMART Araneta Coliseum.

“You know, try to stretch that record out so far to where nobody else breaks it,” added Alapag.

“But nothing but the utmost respect for Marcio.”

Lassiter dislodged Alapag and became the PBA’s new three-ball king in their 131-82 beatdown of Barangay Ginebra during the Season 49 Governors’ Cup eliminations back on September 15, 2024, under the same Big Dome lights.

The Gilas Pilipinas pioneer wanted the sure-fire Hall of Famer to be in attendance, but the latter, at the time, was still busy as a player development coach with the Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association.

Still, he couldn’t be more grateful for the messages of support he got—even if it was via text.2024-PBA-Governors-Cup-San-Miguel-vs-Ginebra-Marcio-Lassiter-2 Jimmy Alapag finally gets chance to congratulate Marcio Lassiter on three-point record Basketball News PBA  - philippine sports news

“He wished he could be here,” he said back then.

“But he said he’ll be full-on, just be there supporting. He’s back home in the States. He just gave his wishes and said hi to the family, and… ‘Just keep on pushing the needle,’ he said.”

About two years later, they finally met in person, giving Alapag the opportunity to personally congratulate the 39-year-old.

#ReadMore  Yeng Guiao proud to see Mac Tallo, Road Warriors deliver in Super 8

“Aside from playing a team that has really dominated in the PBA for a long time, I was really looking forward to getting a chance to see Marcio tonight,” said the 48-year-old, who became no. 1 in 2016 by surpassing Allan Caidic.

“I didn’t get a chance to congratulate him personally for being the new three-point record holder,” added the 48-year-old, whose meeting with Lassiter was expected by some when he was appointed as NLEX coach last June.

Alapag took the time to rain down praises on Lassiter, who currently has 1,397 triples to his name and counting—a figure which ‘Cap’ hopes to see grow.

“It’s a testament to him as a player, it’s a testament to his work ethic, his consistency; known as now the greatest shooter in PBA history,” he said.

“To be able to congratulate him personally, I was really looking forward to that.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

Riley Grigsby won’t be fully let go by Barangay Ginebra. The American forward will remain as the Kings’ standby import, with the perennial contenders...

Basketball

Jordon Varnado impressed in his PBA debut after helping Meralco snap its depressing four-game losing slide in the Season 50 Governors’ Cup at the...

Basketball

Jimmy Alapag is banking on familiarity as he’s bringing in Deonte Burton to serve as NLEX’s new import with DeQuan Jones out due to...

Basketball

Converge outlasted an all-Filipino NLEX side, 112-110, to notch back-to-back wins for the first time in quite some time in the PBA Season 50...

Basketball

Rivals will take center stage before the PBA heads into a lengthy break as Ginebra and Meralco face off again in what should be...

Basketball

As the 12:00 PM deadline for lineup changes passed on Thursday, NLEX did not submit a replacement for DeQuan Jones. The Road Warriors have...

Basketball

Meralco has activated its original import ahead of its rivalry game against Ginebra in the 2026 PBA Governors’ Cup. The Bolts have replaced Antonio...

Basketball

In the wake of Bryan Sajonia’s injury, Titan Ultra has nixed its transaction with TNT involving Joshua Munzon. With Sajonia out for the remainder...

Advertisement