Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times
(C) PBA Images

Basketball

Jonas Tibayan turns MPBL incident into fuel for PBA dream

Jonas Tibayan is shifting all of his attention to pursuing a lifelong dream even as he continues to pick himself up from an ugly incident that threatened his career.

The 26-year-old admitted that he’s still in the process of recovering but remains determined to make it to the PBA, as he’s among those hoping to turn the heads of scouts and coaches in the Season 50 Draft Combine.

“Still recovering pa rin po after nung nangyari, pero nakaka-catch up naman po,” he said during Day 1 of the showcase at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.

Tibayan has just returned to basketball activities recently after recuperating from the broken jaw he suffered from a sucker-punch by Michole Sorela during the Mindoro-GenSan game in the MPBL last August in Batangas.

He had to stay confined in the hospital for over a week, but that didn’t stop the former Batang Gilas stalwart from trying his luck in the PBA.

After all, that had been his plan even before the incident, which left the regional pro league with no choice but to impose a lifetime ban on Sorela.

2025-MPBL-Mindoro-vs-Gen-San-Jonas-Tibayan-1 Jonas Tibayan turns MPBL incident into fuel for PBA dream Basketball News PBA  - philippine sports news

“Bago kasi mangyari ‘yun, I’ve been planning to go to the Draft na talaga,” the NU product shared. “Pinursue ko na lang din after nung nangyari.

“Kasi inisip ko, ‘di naman ‘yun lang ‘yung basehan eh. Kung kaya ko pa naman, edi I’d go. Doon ako kumuha ng gauge, ng lakas.”

Now Tibayan is at the two-day Combine, looking to do the best he can to compete with his fellow hopefuls now that he’s getting back to his old form.

#ReadMore  Magnolia locks in No. 5 spot in PBA QF, awaits TNT-Ginebra showdown

“Still catching up. Still recovering. Still trying my best na maka-catch up sa kanila, lalo na puro rookie ‘yung iba. I’ll do my best,” he said.

And if ever he gets lucky enough to be selected in Sunday’s drafting, the 6-foot-3 wing vows to bring his physical — but not dirty, he pointed out — brand of play.

“Siguro staying physical, pero not dirty. Tsaka ‘yung sipag,” he said.

“Doon ako kumukuha kasi eh. ‘Yung puntos, bonus na lang po siguro.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — It wasn’t just the local stars who gathered and talked over the need to give Bol Bol support in preparation for the PBA...

Basketball

What was once a conference full of hope turned into a nightmare for NLEX. Entering the 2026 PBA Commissioner’s Cup as the top seed...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Eighth-ranked TNT completed its ouster of top seed NLEX by way of a 118-112 decision in the knockout match to settle the...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Jerom Lastimosa would rather move on instead of dwelling on the what-ifs after he and Magnolia saw the end of their PBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Magnolia ultimately fell short in completing its upset of Meralco in the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals on Saturday, but if...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Meralco refused to get swept and instead sent Magnolia packing by way of a 105-102 overtime victory to advance to the PBA...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Now, it’s all about getting the job done for TNT and Magnolia to formalize their entry to the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Talks of a Grand Slam have bogged down anew after San Miguel bowed out of the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals...

Advertisement