Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Tiebreaker Times

2020 Tokyo Olympics

SBP will not bring PBA pros for Gilas’ OQT, Asia Cup campaign

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) has decided not to tap the services of PBA players for Gilas Pilipinas’ gigs in the coming months.

The federation is instead going with an all-Cadets unit in both the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers’ third window tentatively in June and FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Belgrade, Serbia on June 29-July 4.

“They would field an all-Gilas team and the PBA will not be asked to contribute any players other than those they have contributed already during the draft this year and in the previous. OQT din,” PBA Chairman Ricky Vargas said Tuesday.

SBP President Al Panlilio, on the other hand, said that they are taking such an approach to help spur the growth and development of the new-age Filipino dribblers, which are being groomed for the FIBA World Cup in 2023.

“We’re trying to put up a plan, and that’s being thought of now: An entirely non-PBA team, using the five, as Chairman said, the five that we have already drafted last year and the four that we will draft this year, so that’s nine.”

Isaac Go, Matt and Mike Nieto, Rey Suerte, and Allyn Bulanadi are the five players taken by the SBP in the 2019 Gilas draft, and all have been with the Nationals in the previous FIBA ACQ windows last year.

Their fellow Cadets William Navarro and Jaydee Tungcab, together with Jordan Heading and Tzaddy Rangel, on the other hand, will be the four set to be brought in through another special draft this Sunday.

#ReadMore  'Composed' Lebron Lopez proved that he belongs in Gilas, says Baldwin

Aside from those nine, Panlilio said that the Gilas pool they have in mind also has Kai Sotto, naturalization candidate Ange Kouame, and other college stars to make a roster that features around 20-25 names.

The amiable executive, however, did not mention any name which they are targeting in the collegiate ranks, although he disclosed that they have been discussing with their schools for permission.

“If you put the name of Ange Kouame there, eventually also Kai Sotto, and some of the college players, which we’re working on with the schools so that we also get clearances for them, I think we can come up with twenty,” he said,

“If not, a list of twenty-five names,” furthered Panlilio, noting that those names will then buckle down to work together still at the Inspire Sports Academy in Calamba, Laguna “as early as the end of the month.”

This, however, does not mean that the SBP isn’t needing the help of the PBA anymore. According to Panlilio, they are now in discussions with the league with regards to their preparations for the upcoming tournaments.

Though he admitted that it might be difficult to play in the PBA next season due to time constraints, the Meralco governor said that the SBP and the league are exploring options to make things work.

“I think there are two options we’re looking at, maybe possible if we can do both: One is we’re thinking of having a pocket tournament maybe before the June window, with maybe one country who’s coming to the Philippines to participate in that window to ask them to come early and maybe to two PBA teams in a pocket tournament, a two- or three-day tournament. That’s one idea,” he said.

#ReadMore  TNT takes major step toward PBA QF with victory over Meralco

“The other proposal also actually raised by Vice Chairman Bobby [Rosales] is maybe we can also have the Gilas continue to play games, have some games with PBA teams during the actual conference,” he continued.

“So that’s something I think we’ll have to work with Commissioner Willie on how we can do that. But those are two welcome initiatives that we can do with the PBA to help us prepare for those two important windows.”

Written By

Oftentimes on the sidelines. Forever a student of the game. Morayta-bred.

You May Also Like

Basketball

Following the non-renewal of Pat Aquino as head coach, major changes have been made to the Gilas Pilipinas Women program ahead of the FIBA...

Basketball

It’s been years since Nike released a Philippine-themed basketball shoe in the market, but that long of a wait has come to an end,...

2026 Asian Games

Tim Cone will have his hands full after the PBA Season 50 Commissioner’s Cup concludes. Instead of preparing just one Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Gilas Pilipinas Men is adding another talent to its compact pool by calling up Justin Arana in anticipation of a busy summer...

Basketball

Just the idea of playing alongside Justin Brownlee while representing Gilas Pilipinas in this year’s Asian Games excites Bennie Boatwright. That’s actually part of...

3x3 Basketball

For the first time, the Philippines will host both a FIBA 3×3 Women’s Series leg and a Challenger event. The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas...

Basketball

ANTIPOLO — Bennie Boatwright feels excited to begin his naturalization process now that he’s back in Manila to reinforce San Miguel in the PBA...

3x3 Basketball

Gilas Pilipinas Men turned a narrow loss into fuel for their campaign as they advanced to the knockout stages of the FIBA 3×3 Asia...

Advertisement