Connect with us
[adinserter block="13"] [adinserter block="3"]

News

Top Rank chief announces Pacquiao’s swan song, Donaire’s return

Published

on

To open the new year, Top Rank Promotions’ Bob Arum announced two pivotal bouts that will shake-up the Philippine boxing scene.

After months of speculation, The “Fighting Pride of the Philippines” Manny Pacquiao will face Timothy Bradley for the third and final time on April 9 (April 10 in the Philippines) in Pacquiao’s final professional boxing bout.

Current WBO Welterweight Champion Bradley (33-1-1) has seen a resurgence after suffering his first career loss against Pacquiao (57-6-2) during the summer of 2014. “Desert Storm” has strung together a four-fight win streak including a win over former Pacman opponent Brandon Rios to cop the WBO Welterweight crown last November in Las Vegas.

In addition, the 32 year old American decided to switch his camp in firing long-time mentor Joel Diaz for Teddy Altas prior to the Rios bout.

The masses though think that a trilogy is no longer needed as boxing’s only eight-division world champion “won” the first two bouts against Bradley. In their controversial first bout in 2012, Pacquiao clearly dominated Bradley during the entire course of the bout but let the match reach the judges. The result was one of the most controversial decisions in boxing history with judges Duane Ford and CJ Ross scoring the bout in favor of Bradley 115-113 while the third judge Jerry Roth was the only one who saw the bout for Pacquiao 115-113 for the split decision loss. Pacquiao-Bradley I drew 890,000 PPV buys.

After suffering a setback against Marquez, the Congressman from Saranggani Province soundly defeated Brandon Rios in Macao to set-up a rematch against Bradley in Las Vegas in 2014. Pacquiao was able to decisively outpoint Bradley, to give the then 31 year old boxer his first loss, 116-112, 116-112, 118-110. There was a steep drop in PPV buys for this bout though as it only drew 800,000 buys.

“This is a different Timothy Bradley under the aegis of Teddy Atlas,” Arum told ESPN’s Dan Rafael. “This is not me just saying that. The Bradley that fought Rios, whatever you thought about Rios, was a different fighter. It’s still Bradley, but a new Bradley with Teddy. And at this point of his career, can Manny handle that? Remember, Manny is also coming off an injury.”

Pacquiao is coming off a loss against Floyd Mayweather Jr in the richest bout in fight sports history. Moreover, Pacquiao had just turned 37 last December.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum with the Filipino Flash

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum with the Filipino Flash

Also announced by Arum is the return of newly-minted WBO Super Bantamweight Champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire (36-3).

Arum told ESPN’s Dan Rafael that Donaire’s probable opponent would be another fighter he promotes, former featherweight titlist Evgeny Gradovich (20-1-1), who would drop down in weight, as Donaire did earlier this year. Moreover, Arum added that Donaire will make his defense here in the Philippines.

Donaire last fought in the Philippines March 2015 as he blasted through William Prado during Pinoy Pride 30. The 33 year old Fil-Am continued his resurgence in a second round TKO victory against Anthony Settoul in Macau.


He capped his impressive 2015 campaign as he bagged the WBO World super bantamweight once more in Puerto Rico with a unanimous decision victory against Cesar Juarez.

Is Pacquiao-Bradley III necessary? Will Donaire continue his resurgence in 2016? Sound-off in our comments section below

Advertisements
Advertisement
Click to comment

ABL

Christian Standhardinger goes perfect from stripe in Hong Kong’s rout of Formosa

Published

on

After going a horrid 5-for-17 from the stripe during their first loss of the season last January 9, Christian Standhardinger made sure to make good on his free throws to power the Hong Kong Eastern Basketball Club to a dominant 99-79 rout of the Formosa Dreamers, Thursday evening in Southorn Stadium.

The 6-foot-8 Filipino-German, who tallied 37 points and 19 rebounds in the overtime loss to Saigon, went a perfect 9-for-9 from the foul line. He finished with 25 points and 10 rebounds.

The contest itself was not close, as the defending champions were able to impose their will on the bottom-ranked squad, leading by as much as 23 points, 93-70, after two free throws by Standhardinger with 2:58 remaining.

If Standhardinger was having a good day with his free throws, the entire Formosa squad could not say the same, going 13-of-27 from the line.

Tyler Lamb had 25 markers as well for Hong Kong, while Marcus Elliott grabbed a triple-double with 19 points, 11 rebounds, and 11 assists.

Lenny Daniel paced Formosa with 25 points and 11 rebounds. World Import Ronnie Aguilar had 14 points and 16 rebounds but went just 5-for-14 from the field.

With the win, Hong Kong goes to 8-1, while the Dreamers fell to 1-8.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

2018 FIBA 3X3 World Cup

Chooks-to-Go President hopes 3×3 World Cup breaks Philippine Arena record

Published

on

Last October 27, 2017, Game Seven of the PBA Governors’ Cup Finals between heated rivals Barangay Ginebra San Miguel and Meralco Bolts saw 54,083 people troop to the Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan. The attendance broke all records for both the venue and the PBA.

Come June this year, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas and Chooks-to-Go are hoping that the upcoming 2018 FIBA 3×3 World Cup will surpass that record.

“We look at 3×3 as our best hope, really, to get a medal in the Olympics. Kami naman sa Chooks, we are behind SBP realizing that dream. Kanina pinag-uusapan na, if we’re going to break the record in attendance,” said Bounty Agro Ventures Inc. president Ronald Mascariñas on Thursday afternoon during a press conference held at BGC High Street in Taguig.

“I think the question there is not if we’re going to break, but how many more times. Because FIBA should see how passionate the Filipinos are about basketball. That’s a given,” one of the patrons of Gilas Pilipinas added.

Besides the event itself, the local government of Bulacan has pledged to make the week of the tournament filled with activities to celebrate the Philippines’ 120th year of Independence.

For their part, Chooks-to-Go vowed to help out the SBP in organizing the event and in building the team.

“We are throwing our support not to improve on our finish, but we want to help SBP organize, to win the championship — not just to improve our ranking,” Mascariñas shared.

And the experience he and his company gained after backing the Pilipinas 3×3 team during last year’s tournament will only help.

“In past tournaments, we’ve lost some games na maninipis lang talaga,” he recalled about the team composed of Kobe Paras, Kiefer Ravena, Jeron Teng, and JR Quinahan that competed in Nantes, France.

“This time around, with five months to go, we need to organize and put in the best t

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Football

Ilocos United takes leave from PFL

Published

on

Another one bites the dust

After months of speculation, Ilocos United has formally announced their absence from the Philippines Football League for the 2018 season.

A statement signed by Ilocos Chief Executive Officer Tony Lazaro and posted on the club’s Facebook page broke the big news.

“Unfortunately, after months of negotiation, efforts to attract a new naming sponsor for the Team were unsuccessful,” the statement opened. “Consequently, it has become financially prohibitive to continue participation in the PFL.

“Primarily, the lack of broadcasting exposure in 2017 created an apprehension in the corporate community, cascading into a series of afflictions that has ultimately led to our withdrawal from the competition.”

Ilocos finished last during the inaugural season, tallying 1 win, 6 draws, and 21 losses with a -49 goal differential.

Still, Ilocos gave their thanks to those who supported the club during the inaugural PFL season.

“We are cautiously optimistic of a potential return to the PFL for the 2019 season, whereby secured broadcasting exposure will hopefully lead to higher confidence from potential sponsorship partners.”

While their PFL operations will fold for the time being, Ilocos will continue the grassroots programs they have started within the area. ¨In the meantime, the foundation of football development we helped to build in Ilocos will continue, including grassroots initiatives at local schools, women’s futsal, Special Olympics, and, of course, the IUFC Academy.¨

The latest development will be another big blow for the young league. Meralco Manila pulled out of the competition beforehand, and now Ilocos´ absence leaves only six teams in the competition.

Now more than ever, something needs to be done by the PFL or even the Philippine Football Federation to ensure the feasibility of the clubs and the league itself for years to come.

Football is a hard sport to build in the Philippines despite its resurgence since 2010. There are limited corporate boosters for the sport which is in dire need of a financial push to sustain its growth.

Ilocos´ leave and Meralco´s folding now forces local football´s stakeholders to take a step back and examine the next moves to build the sport.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Basketball

CJ Perez, Jaycee Marcelino in unison: D-League is a whole other level

Published

on

After falling just two games short of copping Lyceum’s first-ever NCAA crown, the Pirates went to the PBA D-League to gain experience. However, in their first foray in the second league, the Lyceans realized that it was a whole different beast.

Going up against the veteran-laden Marinerong Pilipino Skippers, the Zark’s Burgers-backed squad suffered a slow start as they adjusted to the tougher calls of the league. The Jawbreakers were down by as much as 17 points early in the third frame, 37-54.

“Yung physicality hindi naman ako masyadong nagulat pero sa mental toughness, yung pagod ka na, tapos may babanggga pa sa ‘yo, ang iniisip ko kailangan mas maging tough,” admitted reigning NCAA Most Valuable Player CJ Perez.

“Nangangapa kami nung una lahat kasi first game namin ito, pati dito sa court na ‘to first game din namin,” added Jaycee Marcelino.

It served as a wake-up call. Adjusting on the fly, Perez and Marcelino rallied the Jawbreakers back — even fashioning multiple attempts to take over the contest late in the game. However, they fell short, 92-94.

“Binalik lang namin yung laro namin dati, pass the ball, hindi yung puro dribble, i-run lang namin yung plays,” shared Marcelino, as he and Perez combined to score 16 points in the final frame.

The 21-year-old Marcelino finished with a game-high 20 points on an efficient 7-of-9 shooting to go along with four rebounds, three assists, two steals, and a block. The 24-year-old Perez added 19 points, five assists, two steals, and a block.

With their first game in the bag, the duo — and the rest of the Jawbreakers — now have the experience under their belts. And they plan to put in the work to prove that they belong.

“Sa NC naman kasi puro ka-level namin kalaro namin, dito puro beterano ang naglalaro,” said Marcelino. “Hindi talaga namin masabi na yung ginawa namin sa NC magagawa din namin dito.

“Mageextra work pa kami para masustain namin kung ano kami sa Lyceum.”

“It’s a good experience. Ibang iba pala talaga yung laro ng D-League sa NCAA,” expressed Perez, who is a consensus top three pick for the upcoming PBA Rookie Draft.

“Sobrang grateful kami na nakalaro na rin kami sa D-League.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending