Connect with us
[adinserter block="13"] [adinserter block="3"]


Still unscathed: Global stay perfect, rout Green Archers United



2016 United Football League Cup champions Global FC notched their ninth straight win in as many matches as they toppled Green Archers United FC, while Stallion FC and Forza FC defeated Agila MSA FC and Pasargad FC, Saturday at the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium.

The League leaders approached the tussle against GAU with caution, but with the obvious intent of breaking the deadlock as soon as possible. It did not take long for the go-ahead goal to happen.

In the eighth minute, Ivan Petrovic sent a lovely ball into the box, which Dennis Villanueva nodded towards goal. GAU goalkeeper Henri Bendeken Fong, however, was there to stop the shot and sent it out for a corner. In the ensuing corner kick, the Serbian once again whipped a cross and Amani Aguinaldo’s header this time would not be denied.

Green Archers United were not yet relieved of Global’s pressure. After getting a foul from the visitors, Global FC’s Team Captain Misagh Bahadoran stood at the top of the box and blasted a well-placed free kick into the back of the net to double the lead.

The black-shirts had chances but they were few in between Global’s relentless attack. In the 37th minute, Tating Pasilan found Greggy Yang rushing towards former teammate, and now Global’s custodian, Patrick Deyto. Deyto gathered the ball out of Yang’s reach to keep the score line the same at the break.

Global kept up their offensive rhythm at the second period. Despite the missed chances, the yellow-shirts confidently continued their ball distribution and finally unlocked the door once more in the 59th minute. Another foul from GAU conceded another free kick to the yellow-shirts. Bahadoran once again attempted a shot straight from the set piece and hit the target, but, just to be sure, substitute Louis Kaole tapped it into the net for the team’s goal third of the match.

The game’s intensity turned up a notch when GAU attempted to pull one back. With the entry of former Azkals’ captain Chieffy Caligdong, the Archers’ offense found some newfound life. After an offside infraction was called on the forward, he won a handball call on Deyto in the following sequence. It drew the ire of the Global goalkeeper, who said some words towards assistant referee Giovanni Lachica.

Nonetheless, Caligdong took the free kick and shot straight to the top and off the hands off Deyto. The national team-capped guardian shouted at Lachica, who in turn asked Referee Steve Suprecencia’s opinion on a sanction to this offense. Eventually, Suprecencia sent Deyto off, which left Global down to 10 men.

This did not dampen Global’s spirits, and despite going a man down, continued to dictate the pace. GAU took advantage of the situation, but they could not convert on their chances.

Substitute Juan Carlos Ortiz ended the frustrating wait for either side, sealing the win with a goal with three minutes left in the match.

Head Coach Leigh Manson shared his delight of beating GAU this time. He said, “Green Archers always make it difficult for us. It is important that we got the three points now. For me, this is the most important game.” Manson emphasized that the win gave them a breathing room before they meet Ceres-La Salle at the final day of the first round.

Earlier in the day, Stallion FC rejuvenated their campaign with a rout of Agila MSA FC, 5-1.

Nathan Alquiros used his familiarity with some Agila players and scored a brace in the 34th and 40th minutes. Team Captain Ruber Doctora Jr. also scored twice for Stallion. The skipper opened the scoring in the 11th minute and then finished off an Alquiros pass in the 38th minute. Defender Simone Rota took the other goal as he converted from the spot in 75th minute.

Agila’s Jang Dong Hee prevented a shutout as he whipped a free kick past Ref Cuaresma for his team’s lone goal of the match.

In the second match, Forza FC took their second straight win after edging out Pasargad FC, 2-0.

Despite dominating the possession and the chances, it took a while for the home side to clinch the first goal of the afternoon. Finally, in the 24th minute, Hayato Aoki outwitted his marker and sent the ball for a Park Hyul finish.

With the match nearing its end, a mad scramble in the box happened in the 87th minute, which resulted in another goal for Forza. The goal was later on credited to Aoki.



Here is the remaining schedule of the first round of the 2016 United Football League:

Crucial matches tomorrow as JP Voltes FC will try to continue its Cinderella run against another fellow in-form team Loyola Meralco Sparks FC at1:45pm.The much-anticipated battle between the 2016 AFC Cup quarterfinalists  – Kaya FC and Ceres-La Salle FC – follows at 4pm. Laos FC and Manila Nomads FC will take the pitch first at the 7:30am appetizer.

July 12: 4pm – Forza FC vs Stallion FC

July 14: 1:45pm – Manila Nomads SC vs Global FC; 4pm – Ceres-La Salle FC vs Green Archers United FC

July 16: 7:30am – Pasargad FC vs Manila Nomads SC; 1:45pm – Laos FC vs JP Voltes FC; 4pm – Stallion FC vs Green Archers United FC

July 17: 7:30am – Forza FC vs Agila MSA FC; 1:45pm –Loyola Meralco Sparks FC vs Kaya FC; 4pm – Ceres-La Salle FC vs Global FC

TBD: Agila MSA FC vs Kaya FC




Ilocos United takes leave from PFL



Another one bites the dust

After months of speculation, Ilocos United has formally announced their absence from the Philippines Football League for the 2018 season.

A statement signed by Ilocos Chief Executive Officer Tony Lazaro and posted on the club’s Facebook page broke the big news.

“Unfortunately, after months of negotiation, efforts to attract a new naming sponsor for the Team were unsuccessful,” the statement opened. “Consequently, it has become financially prohibitive to continue participation in the PFL.

“Primarily, the lack of broadcasting exposure in 2017 created an apprehension in the corporate community, cascading into a series of afflictions that has ultimately led to our withdrawal from the competition.”

Ilocos finished last during the inaugural season, tallying 1 win, 6 draws, and 21 losses with a -49 goal differential.

Still, Ilocos gave their thanks to those who supported the club during the inaugural PFL season.

“We are cautiously optimistic of a potential return to the PFL for the 2019 season, whereby secured broadcasting exposure will hopefully lead to higher confidence from potential sponsorship partners.”

While their PFL operations will fold for the time being, Ilocos will continue the grassroots programs they have started within the area. ¨In the meantime, the foundation of football development we helped to build in Ilocos will continue, including grassroots initiatives at local schools, women’s futsal, Special Olympics, and, of course, the IUFC Academy.¨

The latest development will be another big blow for the young league. Meralco Manila pulled out of the competition beforehand, and now Ilocos´ absence leaves only six teams in the competition.

Now more than ever, something needs to be done by the PFL or even the Philippine Football Federation to ensure the feasibility of the clubs and the league itself for years to come.

Football is a hard sport to build in the Philippines despite its resurgence since 2010. There are limited corporate boosters for the sport which is in dire need of a financial push to sustain its growth.

Ilocos´ leave and Meralco´s folding now forces local football´s stakeholders to take a step back and examine the next moves to build the sport.

Continue Reading


Jake Vicen performs under pressure as Blazers end eight-year title drought



For the second straight match, the championship showdown between the College of Saint Benilde Blazers and the Arellano University Chiefs reached a showdown from the penalty spot. And once more, goalkeeper Jake Vicen came up big.

The third-year custodian denied one of Arellano’s prolific scorers, Roberto Corsame, in the shootout and sealed the title after eight long years, 3-2, penalties, Wednesday evening at the historic Rizal Memorial Stadium.

The Blazers made their intentions clear from the get-go, as they repeatedly pierced through the defense of the Chiefs.

Nonetheless, in the 38th minute, the white-shirts clinched the goal they deserved. The Blazers pushed forward, and almost got a call in their favor. The referees, however, played advantage, and fortunately Benilde held on to the play.

Miguel Artillera found himself unmarked on the right flank and easily blasted the ball past opposing keeper Jericho Desalisa.

The Marlon Maro-mentored side continued to play aggressively in the following period, and almost plucked a second goal. This time, however, the Chiefs’ backline — led by eventual Best Defender Patrick Bernarte — held on.

Such a stand was rewarded by their attacking force minutes later, and, as expected, the equalizer came from the counterattack.

Corsame received a pass from the middle and defeated two defenders, and seeing Vicen off his line, sent the ball into the onion bag in the 49th minute.

Both sides tried to break the deadlock, but fatigue slowly crept up in the dying minutes of the second period and the whole of extra time, setting up another thrilling finish in the shootout.

Much like in Game 2, the two keepers came up big, as Desalisa and Vicen denied their second kickers a clear shot. Arellano went on to miss another shot, and it was then up to the Blazers to seal the deal.

Dean Ebarle stepped up and calmly slotted the ball into the goal for the lead at 3-2. Afterwards, Corsame faced Vicen, but this time, the Cebuano keeper would not be denied. The latter went to his strong side, and, fortunately, guessed right for the huge save, as pandemonium erupted from the Benilde crowd and squad.

The Finals series hero and season Best Goalkeeper Vicen was pleased that the new champions had carved out the historic win despite early adversity. “Big loss ‘yun, si Val [Calvo], kasi may magagawa talaga siya kung nakalaro namin,” he said of losing their former captain.

Nonetheless, the squad stayed focused on getting it done this year.

“Binuhos lang namin every minute sa training. Luckily, hard work paid off,” declared Vicen.

Continue Reading


Composed Ceres-Negros expels Shan United in shootout victory



Photo from

2017 AFC ASEAN Zone Champions Ceres-Negros banked on their poise and composure from the spot as they knocked out Myanmar’s Shan United via a 4-3 penalty shootout (1-1 after extra time) triumph, Tuesday evening at the Thuwunna Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar.

The Negrenses punched their ticket to Brisbane, Australia after emerging the better spotkick takers. Four Busmen were on target, while two of their Shan Warriors counterparts fluffed their lines.

The two domestic champions were inseparable after 120 minutes, with the hosts holding their own against the Philippine champions. Ceres-Negros looked the more dominant of the two teams. However, they couldn’t make the advantage count where it mattered, as they failed to breach the sturdy Shan United defense inside the first two regulation halves.

The visitors were visibly more comfortable in the first half, but with the scores staying level at the break, the less-fancied Myanmar champions eventually found their footing in the encounter. While there were several half-chances from either side to open the scoring, both defenses remained defiant en route to unwanted extra time.

“It was a tough game. We weren’t ready to play 120 minutes because we only had four training sessions before the game but everytime we wear this jersey, we represent Ceres, we represent Bacolod, we represent the Philippines, so we have to give our best,” Ceres’ defender Carli de Murga elaborated to the Inquirer after the match. The Asian Football season has yet to start, and with both teams not too busy with pre-season preparations, rust and fatigue in a demanding affair were evident.

Come extra time, Ceres-Negros took the initiative when Stephan Schröck’s deflected effort went past the helpless Thiha Si Thu just three minutes into the first half.

Nonetheless, the hosts refused to go down without a fight, and their resilience was rewarded later in the opening half. Substitute Patrick Asare found the back of the net to restore parity in Yangon.

Another 15 minutes of goalless action took place in the second half as both teams looked more cautious, perhaps with the collective aim of avoiding a costly error or two. Among all the chances, Schröck’s in the 114th minute may have proved to be the closest to changing the scores, as his attempt shaved the post.

Shan United took to the spot first, where Asare made his penalty attempt count. Nay Lin Tun also made his, but not before teammate Chizoba smashed his attempt over Toni Doblas’ goal.

While the hosts squandered a shot, the visitors remained calm in front of a hostile Myanmar crowd. De Murga, Schröck and Mike Ott nailed their turns, with Marañon also not missing a vital kick from 12 yards.

It set up William Biassi Nyakwe, the man credited with the own goal when he deflected Schröck’s opener, with the chance to prolong his team’s campaign in the AFC Champions League. Unfortunately for him, he couldn’t atone for his earlier mistake, as his attempt soared high and wide — much to the delight of the visiting team from Bacolod, the Philippines.

The reward for Ceres-Negros is a trip to Queensland, Australia, where they will seek to do one better than compatriots Global-Cebu. The 2016 Philippine champions also played against the Brisbane Roar, who dealt them a staggering 6-0 hammering this time last year. The match will be held at the Suncorp Stadium on January 23.

As for Shan United, a spot in the AFC Cup Group Stage awaits them and they may not have seen the last of Ceres-Negros just yet. If the Negrenses lose to either Brisbane Roar or Tianjin Quanjian, they will be reacquainted with the Burmese champions in Group F.

Continue Reading


Brazilian football legend Zico to visit Manila



Contributed photos

One of the best to ever play the Beautiful Game is coming to the Philippines. Zico, who electrified the footballing world in the ’70s and ’80s, is slated to visit Manila on the weekend of January 27.

The Brazilian, whose real name is Arthur Antunes Coimbra, is considered one of the best footballers in the world during the late 70’s and early 80’s. Zico starred for the Brazilian national team, scoring 48 goals in 71 appearances for the Selecao. In 1999, the attacking midfielder came 8th in the FIFA Player of the Century grand jury vote, and in 2004 was named in FIFA’s list of the world’s greatest living players.

Zico played for legendary Brazilian club Flamengo and also for the Italian Serie A team Udinese. He finished his playing career suiting up for Kashima Antlers in the J-League, the top tier of Japanese football, leading them to an unlikely runner-up finish.

The 64-year-old also had a successful managerial career, leading Turkey’s Fenerbahce, Greek team Olympiacos, and CSKA Moscow to titles. Zico was also in charge of the Japanese national team when they won the AFC Asian Cup in 2004. Because of that accomplishment, Zico is one of the most beloved football figures in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Seven Seas Properties, a company that promotes Philippine real estate and Philippine stocks in the Japanese market, is bringing the football icon here.

“We are delighted to welcome Zico to the Philippines. I’m sure he will give a big boost to the growing football scene here,” says Seven Seas Properties President Yukihiro Nishimura.

Zico will attend a CSR event with young footballers from underprivileged communities on Saturday, January 27. The following day, Sunday January 28, he will lead a football clinic for elite young players and coaches in the McKinley Hill stadium in Taguig. Football fans and media are welcome to watch this event, which kicks off at 2:00 pm. Admission is free.

Zico in Manila is also made possible by Otsuka – Solar Philippines, Inter Sports Partners, AgriNurture, and Primex.

Continue Reading