Connect with us

Boxing

Mark Anthony Barriga raring to prove he’s more than just a ‘former Olympian’

Published

on

Minimumweight Mark Anthony Barriga looks to make the transition from an Olympian to a champion in boxing.

Barriga (6-0, 1KO), who competed in the 2012 London Olympics, will head to his first title fight as a professional, facing Wittawas Basapean (33-6) for the vacant WBO International minimumweight title in Beijing, China, tonight.

And after just a year, he takes his first step to finish what he started in the amateurs — and add a championship to his name.

“As Mark Anthony Barriga, gusto ko pong maipakita sa mga tao na may sariling istilo ako. Kahit maliit ako, may sarili akong istilo,” a motivated Barriga told with Tiebreaker Times. “Kahit ba hindi ako yung tipong knockout puncher, nandun pa rin yung talent ko the way kung paano ko i-domina yung mga kalaban ko.

“Kahit na mahirap yung kalaban, nakaka-adjust ako agad at nagagawan ko ng paraan para hindi ako mag-struggle sa laban.”

In a sport that is ruled by men of power, the 24-year-old believes it takes more than that to become successful in the ring. With that, he is confident that he has the edge over the top-tier pugilists in his division.

“Para sa akin, yung boxing ay hindi lang po sa malakas. Hindi lang po para sa mabilis, para sa akin, it’s scientific.

“Kasi kahit gaano ka kalakas, kung ang laro ko is takbo-takbo, hindi ka makakatama sakin, sayang naman yung power mo. Mapapagod ka lang,” said the Davao del Norte-native, who worked tirelessly for his first 12-round fight in their home camp in Kawit, Cavite, along with IBF world champ Jerwin Ancajas. “Kung powerful ang kalaban ko, kelangan kumpleto din ang stamina o kasi kung hindi, ako din ang makakawawa. Mabubugbog ako sa ring. Hindi mo kailangan makipagpatayan para madomina ang laban.”

Barriga expects that he will have his hands full against the highly-experienced Basapean, who has once challenged Akira Yaegashi for the world title. But to him, he knows the opportunity given to him doesn’t come often, let alone this early.

With the trust given to him, he is determined to win his first professional title for the people who believe in him.

“Napakalaking opportunity to sakin dahil nga po kung tutuusin, grabe yung pinag-daanan nila Kuya Jerwin (Ancajas) at Kuya Drian (Francisco) para makalaban ng ‘big fights’ kaya natutuwa po ako na yung coach ko, yung teammates ko, dahil may tiwala sila sakin na kaya kong makipagsabayan sa kahit na kaninong boxer sa timbang ko,” Barriga added. “Ang gagawin ko nalang po as a boxer, magtitiwala din ako sa sarili ko na kaya ko ito at makinig sa mga payo nila.

“Big fight ito para sa akin at may mga nakasalalay, ayaw ko din naman na mapahiya. Susuklian ko ang mga tinulong nila sa akin.”

Advertisements

Boxing

Bob Arum sees Jerwin Ancajas as the ‘next Manny Pacquiao’

Published

on

What a day it has been for IBF World Junior Bantamweight Champion Jerwin Ancajas.

On a day that saw him make courtesy calls to President Rodrigo Duterte and Senator Manny Pacquiao, Top Rank Promotions chief executive officer Bob Arum revealed that the 25-year-old is set to sign with his company.

The veteran promoter revealed the news to Boxing Scene’s Steve Kim Wednesday morning.

“He is going to become a Top Rank fighter,” Bob Arum told Boxing Scene. “We’re going to fight him at least three or four times a year.

“We call him the ‘next Manny Pacquiao.'”

Ancajas (28-1-1, 19KOs) defeated McJoe Arroyo for the world title back in September of 2016. Since then, he has defended his crown three times, with the most recent coming via a TKO of Jamike Conlan last November 18 in Belfast, Ireland.

Throughout his journey to the top, he was affiliated with MP Productions and he will continue to do so as the deal between Pacquiao’s camp and Arum’s will be to co-promote the native of Cavite City.

Later in the day, Ancajas, together with stablemate Mark Barriga and coach Joven Jimenez, made a courtesy call to the president.

“Nakakatuwa at na-meet namin si Presidente,” said Ancajas.

“Nakikita na rin namin siya dati sa Davao, pero iba pa rin po nung nameet namin siya na presidente na siya.”

Ancajas is set to face Israel Gonzalez (21-1) on February 3, 2018 at the Bank of America Center in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Boxing

Mark Magsayo retains WBO International crown in homecoming

Published

on

By: JD Sanchez

The future is bright for Bohol’s Magnifico

In his homecoming, Mark Magsayo (18-0, 13KOs) successfully defended his WBO International Featherweight title against seasoned veteran Shota Hayashi of Japan (30-7-1, 18KOs), Saturday evening at the Bohol Wisdom School Gym in Tagbiliran City.

“Inisip ko pamilya ko. Inisip ko belt ko na sana hindi mabawi kaya nilakasan ko fighting spirit ko,” Magsayo said.

The fight went the 12 full rounds, with both warriors giving their all. At the end of the 36-minute slugfest, the judges saw the bout in favor of the Filipino, 116-112, 116-112, 116-112.

Headlining Pinoy Pride 43 in his hometown in front of his family, friends, and fans, Magsayo knew and vowed that he needed to fight smart and be technical in his approach. That did not stop him from going toe-to-toe against the very same Hayashi, who was making his overseas debut.

The two traded hard punches all throughout with Magsayo landing the cleaner ones. The Tagbilaran native punished the Japaneese visitor with brutal body and head combinations, but the latter would shrug them off and drop his own deadly combos to the delight of those in attendance.

The win could easily propel him towards fighting for the WBO World Featherweight championship belt currently held by Mexico’s Oscar Valdez — or at the very least, a title eliminator.

In the undercard, Albert Pagara and Jeo Santisima came out on top, as both fighters did not waste time to dispose their respective opponents.

Pagara (29-1) overwhelmed Mohammed Kambulata (16-4) as he knocked down his opponent twice in the second round that called for the stoppage, while Santisima (15-2) needed just 36 seconds to dispose of Kichang Kim (8-5-1)

Pinoy Pride 43: The Battle in Bohol Results
November 25, 2017 – Bohol Wisdom School Gym, Tagbilaran City


Super Bantamweight bout: Virgel Vitor (12-1, 7 KOs) def. John Ray Logatiman (6-7-2) via UD
Minimumweight bout: Melvin Jerusalem (12-2, 7 KOs) def. Jestoni Racoma (6-3-1) via UD
Flyweight bout: Esneth Domingo (8-0, 4 KOs) def. Lowell Saguisa (7-27-1, 3 KOs) via UD
Flyweight bout: Rocky Fuentes (36-9-2, 20 KOs) def. Ryan Tampus (11-21, 8 KOs) via KO1
Featherweight bout: Roli Gasca (24-8-1, 7 KOs) def. Jason Tinampay (8-7-1, 7 KOs) via UD
Junior Flyweight bout: Christian Bacolod (8-0, 6 KOs) def. Ryan Makaputin (12-11-2, 4 KOs) via TKO2

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Boxing

Manny Pacquiao teases showdown with Conor McGregor in 2018

Published

on

Is a Manny Pacquiao-Conor McGregor super fight in the works?

In a cryptic tweet posted by Fighting Senator Manny Pacquiao on Thursday evening, boxing’s only eight-division world champion sent a direct message to UFC World Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor, hinting at a future match-up with the MMA fighter in 2018.

Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38KOs) last fought in July of 2017, figuring in a controversial unanimous decision loss to Jeff Horn in Brisbane, Australia. A rematch was supposed to take place later in the year, but the two camps could not come to terms. Pacquiao is turning 39 years old on December 17.

On the other hand, McGregor (0-1) made his professional boxing debut last August 26, 2017, losing to a former Pacquiao foe in Floyd Mayweather via a 10th round TKO. The fight — dubbed the Money Fight — had an estimated 4.4 million buys in pay-per-view, falling short of the record claimed by Mayweather-Pacquiao that generated 4.6 million buys.

If this comes into fruition, both fighters are expected to have big paydays. as the two are still considered part of the top five drawers in the fight industry.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Boxing

Mark Magsayo out to prove worth in hopes of world title opportunity

Published

on

There’s no slowing down Mark Magsayo (17-0, 13KOs) in his quest for a world title

Since his pro debut, the 22-year-old featherweight has set his sights on the sport’s ultimate prize and he’s been doing his part to make it happen.

Over the course of his career, Magsayo has climbed up the ladder to prove his worth in the boxing world. Every year, he made sure to stay active, competing at least three times and piling up victories and championships.

And as he enters the ring this weekend, “Magnifico” views his upcoming title defense as the perfect opportunity to inch closer to a possible world title shot.

“Ginagamit ko ito as a chance din na ma-prove ang sarili ko at kakayahan ko sa mga tao,” Magsayo shared with Tiebreaker Times.

“Every fight, meron din akong natututunan at nai-improve, so bawat laban para sakin ay one step closer sa world title.”

From Melton Sandal — whom he first knocked out in his pro debut back in 2013 — to his marquee win over Chris Avalos in front of more than 20,000 Filipinos last April, 2016, Magsayo believes that every win is an important piece to his championship puzzle.

In his latest test against Japanese veteran Shota Hayashi (30-6-1), a motivated Mark Magsayo vows to put up yet another impressive performance in his hometown.

“Bawat kalaban ay iba-iba so ang challenge ko sa kanya ngayon ay ang pagiging beterano niya sa laban,” he said.

“Excited talaga ako na lumaban dito sa Tagbilaran at bibigyan po namin kayo ng exciting na laban sa Sabado at ipapakita ko ang lahat ng makakaya ko sa laban na ito.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending