Connect with us
[adinserter block="13"] [adinserter block="3"]

Green Archers United erases Stallion lead; forces draw



Three goals in the first half for Stallion FC was not enough to put away Green Archers United FC (GAU), as the latter poured on a pair in the second to force a deadlock at the end of 90 minutes, 3-3, Saturday evening at the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium.

The first half started with both teams sharing the ball almost equally and took shots into their respective goals. However, Stallion turned it up a notch in the succeeding minutes with more enterprising incursions into the penalty area. Former University of the East stalwart Fitch Arboleda made them happen on the right flank, but his passes to the dangerous area was dealt with by the defense. At the 24th minute, however, Arboleda successfully sent his corner kick into the six-yard box, only GAU keeper Paolo Pascual got to the ball. The threat was not over from the visitors as Jordan Mintah sent the loose ball to Milan Arends for the header and the go-ahead goal.

Sensing momentum, Stallion did not let up, but instead continued to pressure their opponents. Arboleda doubled the lead for his squad seven minutes after the initial goal, when he headed the ball into the back of the net from a free kick. At the 34th minute, Louis Serge Kaole kept the ball from going out and passed it to Mintah, who slotted it past Pascual, for their squad’s third goal of the match. That was the last spell of efficient offense from the visitors, as the game’s balance shifted to the Green Archers’ favour.

During added time, the home side had a successful buildup from the sides, which the Stallion’s defense cleared for a corner. Robert Lopez Mendy connected to Jovanie Simpron on Pascual’s left, but the Ilonggo winger’s run was stopped by Kaole inside the box. Kaole was booked, while the Green Archers was awarded a kick from the spot. Lopez Mendy fired it into the goal to get one back for his team before the halftime whistle was sounded.

Going into the second period, the white-shirts picked up the pace and continued their aggressiveness into the final third. The Archers pounded the tired Stallion defense with a barrage of attempts on goal. Six minutes before the hour mark, striker Jhan Jhan Melliza saw opposing custodian Johann Noetzel off his line and blasted the ball from way outside the box to cut the deficit to one. Robert Cañedo almost equalized minutes after; nonetheless, Noetzel got to the ball. The pressure hit fever pitch for the home team with Stallion failing to prevent chances. Melliza shot the ball and hit the crossbar, but Lopez Mendy was there to guide the rebound into the onion bag for the equalizer, at the 59th minute.

The Green Archers made it appear that they wanted the win more, as they pushed for the clinching goal throughout the rest of the match. However, Lopez Mendy botched two one-on-one opportunities against Noetzel. At the 70th minute, Kennedy Uzoka intercepted the ball in the midfield and passed it to the forward, who sent it straight to Noetzel. Three minutes from the attempt, Lopez Mendy missed the frame and the potential game-winning goal. The final whistle was sounded as the match ended on a stalemate, 3-3, against these two familiar foes.

GAU Head Coach Rodolfo Alicante knew his team had the capability of turning the game around despite the big deficit. Alicante also pointed out they felt Stallion was tired and they just took advantage of it. He explained, “Napansin ko yung Stallion pagod na rin sila, so continue lang namin yung pressing namin sa kanila.”

On his part, Stallion mentor Ernie Nierras was really displeased on how his wards “stopped playing in the second half.” Nierras concluded that, in order to end this string of disappointing results, “They [Stallion] must play like winners.”

Coach Rodolfo Alicante’s squad will now prepare for their next battle against against Global FC, who drew earlier today against Manila Jeepney FC, on Saturday, July 25. Meanwhile, the Ernie Nierras-mentored Stallion FC will take on Kaya FC on Sunday, July 26.


Grew to appreciate various sports from tennis to judo. True-maroon kiddo since the new millennium. Fanboy. Singer. Occasional sports writer.

Click to comment


Marc Pingris wants Rafi Reavis to break Robert Jaworski’s record



Marc Pingris was all praises for veteran Rafi Reavis Saturday night, as the 40-year-old center made his presence felt in the Magnolia Hotshots’ 97-91 victory — their third straight win — over Phoenix Fuel Masters at the Cuneta Astrodome.

The six-foot-nine Reavis finished with 11 points, 11 rebounds, and three blocks — a performance perfectly punctuated by a follow-up of a Paul Lee miss with 12.5 seconds left to play that knocked out the Fuel Masters for good.

“Papasalamat ako kay Rafi na talagang kababalik lang niya pero binigay niya talaga lahat,” said Pingris after the bout, as Saturday night was just Reavis’ second outing in the 2018 Philippine Cup after recovering from a hip injury.

“Nag-usap nga kami kanina e, hindi pa siya 100 percent. So bukas, ang sabi niya babalik daw siya sa gym dahil gusto niya ibalik yung lakas ng legs dahil wala pa daw,” added the 36-year-old, who also suffered a hip injury last season.

Reavis has been playing in the league for 16 years. Seeing the work he has put in, Pingris, who finished the game with 17 rebounds, four assists, four points and two blocks, believes that the 10-time PBA champion can play for 10 more years — at least.

“You know naman Rafi eh, katulad ko rin yan eh – rebound and depensa. At tsaka sobrang vocal siya sa team eh,” beamed Pingris, who himself is a 14-year veteran. “Walang siyang inaano, talagang sinasabihan niya kung sino yung mga nagmi-mistake, kung paano kami mag-adjust, so nakikinig naman lahat sa kanya.

“Talagang nandun yung respeto namin kay Rafi.”

And if Reavis stays healthy for the next decade, Pingris wants Reavis to exceed Jaworki’s 958 games played — third most all time.

“Nasa kanya yun, basta kaya mo ba eh. As a player, kung masipag ka naman at may disiplina sa sarili mo, kaya niya yun.”

Still, Reavis has a lot of catching up to do.

Continue Reading


Altas surge to fifth straight win, slam Heavy Bombers



Pulling double-digit scoring outings from three spikers, the University of Perpetual Help System DALTA Altas remained unbeaten in NCAA Season 93 after a straight-set triumph over thr Jose Rizal University Heavy Bombers, 25-17, 25-16, 25-20, at the FilOil Flying V Centre.

Middle blocker Ronniel Rosales topped the Altas with 13 points off 10 attacks and three blocks. Team captain Rey Taneo and Joebert Almodiel added 12 markers apiece.

The Altas dominated every scoring category, recording 44 attacks to JRU’s 26, five blocks to the Bombers’ zero, and three aces to JRU’s one.

Breezing through the first half of the season, Altas head coach Sammy Acaylar lauded his team’s consistency and hoped they continue getting better as they aim for a championship.

“So far, masasabi kong maganda ang nilalaro ng mga bata. Consistent naman ang mga galaw nila and focused sila sa mga laban,” said Acaylar.

“Pero alam nilang may ibubuga pa sila. We still need to get better and reach the championship level. Kailangan hindi mawala ‘yung ganito naming killer instinct,” the decorated mentor added.

The Altas take on a major test on Tuesday at the FilOil Flying V Centre when they face fellow undefeated squad Arellano Chiefs (4-0).

Wenjo Lahaylahay led the Bombers with 10 points while captain Patrick Rabaja managed seven.

JRU (0-5) limps into their Wednesday showdown against defending champs College of Saint Benilde (3-1).

The Scores

UPHSD (3) – Rosales 13, Almodiel 12, Taneo R. 12, Muhali 7, Ramos 5, Atentar 1, Catipay 1, Salo 1, Bation 0, Solamilo 0, Taneo S. 0, Kalingking (L)

JRU (0) – Lahaylahay 10, Rabaja 7, Sulivas 6, Salazar 4, Cebrero 1, Soriano 1, Cruz 0, Ferwelo 0, Defensor (L), Flor (L)

Continue Reading

Mixed Martial Arts

Rene Catalan continues rampage with TKO win



Rene Catalan continues to turn critics into believers

Filipino fighter Rene Catalan made his sixth appearance inside the ONE Championship cage at ONE: Kings of Courage, held at the Jakarta Convention Center in Indonesia, Saturday evening. He faced 21-year-old Chinese athlete Peng Xue Wen in the opening main card bout, and leaned on his elite wushu skills to stop the young star at the 4:22 mark of the second round.

The victory improves Catalan’s record to 4-2 (1 NC), extends his winning streak to four, and gives him the first TKO stoppage of his martial arts career, as he bids to climb the strawweight ladder in search of the ONE Strawweight World Championship.

“The Challenger” came out in the southpaw stance to open the bout, throwing big hooks and a head kick that narrowly missed as he established the center of the cage from the start of the contest.

The Filipino landed a host of powerful strikes, including a perfectly-placed uppercut and a melee of punishing leg kicks, but Peng’s conditioning and composure kept him in the match as he looked to stand and trade with the man 18 years his elder.

Catalan picked up where he left off when the bout resumed in the second round, this time operating out of the orthodox stance, landing more leg kicks and continuing to deny Peng any space to work.

Despite his dominance on the feet, there was a brief moment of concern for the Filipino on the mat when he jumped into the Chinese wrestler’s guard mid-way through the second round, and immediately found himself in a triangle choke. But the Filipino kept his composure and managed to work himself free.

Once the fighters returned to their feet, Catalan poured on the pressure in search of a finish, and he got it with just 38 seconds remaining in the stanza.

“The Challenger” scored big with a liver shot, then unloaded a fierce flurry of punches that forced Peng onto his back foot. Another shot forced Peng to the mat, where a salvo of ground and pound from Catalan eventually forced the TKO stoppage as referee Olivier Coste stepped in to halt the contest.

Photo, story, and video from ONE Championship

Continue Reading


Gelo Alolino regrets Phoenix’s failure to close out Hotshots



Photo by PBA Images

Gelo Alolino had his best game for the Phoenix Fuel Masters on Saturday night at the Cuneta Astrodome with 19 points, eclipsing his previous career-high of 16 markers which he made last May 21, 2017 in a loss to the Mahindra Floodbuster.

But his achievement won’t be too memorable, as it went for naught following a 91-97 defeat at the hands of Paul Lee and the Magnolia Hotshots, who have now collected their third straight victory.

For the second overall pick in the regular 2016 Rookie Draft, it was all because of their failure to sustain momentum up until the game’s final buzzer.

“Sayang, nandun na. We felt na sa amin na nung dulo kaso lang ganun talaga,” rued the 24-year-old sophomore after the match, where he shot an excellent 7-of-10 from the floor.

“Breaks of the game napunta sa kabila.”

Phoenix were in contention all throughout the match. In fact, they were even ahead, 89-84, with just three minutes left to play. But the Hotshots’ comeback skills were unleashed, leading to the narrow win.

“Siyempre kami lahat nasayangan. Maganda naman yung team effort talaga namin,” admitted the 6-foot floor general of their end-game collapse, which wasted their efforts in assists (21) and on defense, where they forced Magnolia to 21 turnovers.

“Kami as players talagang gusto namin bumawi coming from a loss last game sa Rain or Shine.

The Fuel Masters have now lost their second straight outing and have dropped to 2-3. And for Alolino, all they have to do is learn as much as they can from this loss, especially now that they are about to face the Barangay Ginebra San Miguel next.

“Yun nga. Medyo masakit para sa’min ‘to,” admitted the National University product.

“All we have to do is magviview ulit kami ng tape para makita kung saan kami mas pwede mag-improve as a team and bawat isa — including me.”

Continue Reading