Connect with us
[adinserter block="13"] [adinserter block="3"]

DLSU grabs Final Four ticket with triumph over Adamson



A goal in each half amidst a plethora of chances saw La Salle stroll past the still-winless Adamson, 2-0, to claim a spot in the Final Four on a rainy Sunday afternoon at the FEU-Diliman Football Field.

The Lasallians immediately seized command as soon as the game began. Gregory Yang had numerous set pieces that were either thwarted by the Adamson defense or placed wide by his teammates. However, Adamson was gifted an opportunity to score 14 minutes into the match. Brian Jumo II was fouled by Tonichi Bonoan inside the box but the Soaring Falcon was not in control of the ball, hence earning his team just a free kick inside the DLSU box. Goldwyn Espina’s shot, nonetheless, only struck the wall.

It was the only clear chance of the Falcons in the first half as the Lasallians reasserted dominance. A Yang free kick at the 20th minute bounced into the net, catching everyone by surprise as he put La Salle ahead. It opened more room for DLSU to score as Adamson was forced to defend until halftime. Whenever the Falcons sought to exploit La Salle’s high line, they were either halted by alert DLSU defending or poor positioning that found them offside. As for La Salle, they continued to pummel the Falcons’ box with multiple deliveries only for those to not meet the desired targets. There were a couple of opportunities coming from Jhoguev Ybañez and Jojo Borromeo, but both misfired at the 35th and 37th minutes respectively to keep the score at 1-0 by the interval.

La Salle maintained control of the game in the other side of halftime as they looked to sharpen their finishing while also protecting their advantage. Eight minutes into the half, Gio Diamante blasted his shot over. Inside the same minute, Yoshiharu Koizumi retrieved the ball from just outside the box to set up Chuck Uy but Adamson goalkeeper Carl Viray managed to keep Uy’s attempt from breaching his goal. It looked to have been déjà vu moments after when Diamante lashed a shot off target before Koizumi and Uy teamed up again. Only this time, Uy slotted it into the bottom corner to score his team’s second goal of the match.

Adamson almost pulled one back but Jusuel Pilarca’s shot off a DLSU defensive lapse was nowhere near La Salle keeper Paeng de Guzman’s goal. Diamante, Alquiros, and Nicko Villacin had good chances inside the box but the young Adamson defense held firm in preventing La Salle from netting more goals. For their part, Adamson managed to test the La Salle back line late in the game with the Jumo twins Bless I and Brian II generating moments. Jumo I had two shots, one caught smoothly by de Guzman with the other sailing wide while his twin brother, Jumo II, was beaten to the ball by the DLSU goalkeeper three minutes before time.

DLSU captain Diamante pinpointed the team’s need to work more towards their finishing, particularly as they are bound to face tougher opposition in the future with Final Four-bound UP and current fourth-seeded squad NU coming up this week. “We really need to score goals. We missed a lot of chances [today]. The most that we could score [this season] was five… We’ve only scored one or two [in most games] so we really need to do better,” he identified. True enough, La Salle’s two-goal win was not indicative of the game’s complexion as the boys from Taft had the lion’s share of the ball only for their neighbors from San Marcelino to survive the series of La Salle’s attacking spells.

Speaking after the loss, Jumo II said, “Pinipilit naming lumaban talaga kahit bago kami [kaso] nandiyan pa rin ‘yung kapag maiskoran agad sobrang down agad kami.” Noting that the squad is still in the process of learning in their first year as a UAAP team, Jumo II and his teammates could only continue to battle their way against other teams en route to establishing a winning culture in the league eventually.

DLSU joins FEU and UP in the Final Four with only seeding yet to be determined. La Salle can assure a top three finish by getting at least a point this Thursday against the UP Maroons, who are level on points with FEU but are in second due to inferior goal difference. UP and La Salle have a game on hand as FEU only has one more game compared to them having two. Adamson, meanwhile, is still without a point but can elude finishing last by winning their remaining games, starting off against UE this Thursday.

Click to comment


Composed Ceres-Negros expels Shan United in shootout victory



Photo from

2017 AFC ASEAN Zone Champions Ceres-Negros banked on their poise and composure from the spot as they knocked out Myanmar’s Shan United via a 4-3 penalty shootout (1-1 after extra time) triumph, Tuesday evening at the Thuwunna Stadium in Yangon, Myanmar.

The Negrenses punched their ticket to Brisbane, Australia after emerging the better spotkick takers. Four Busmen were on target, while two of their Shan Warriors counterparts fluffed their lines.

The two domestic champions were inseparable after 120 minutes, with the hosts holding their own against the Philippine champions. Ceres-Negros looked the more dominant of the two teams. However, they couldn’t make the advantage count where it mattered, as they failed to breach the sturdy Shan United defense inside the first two regulation halves.

The visitors were visibly more comfortable in the first half, but with the scores staying level at the break, the less-fancied Myanmar champions eventually found their footing in the encounter. While there were several half-chances from either side to open the scoring, both defenses remained defiant en route to unwanted extra time.

“It was a tough game. We weren’t ready to play 120 minutes because we only had four training sessions before the game but everytime we wear this jersey, we represent Ceres, we represent Bacolod, we represent the Philippines, so we have to give our best,” Ceres’ defender Carli de Murga elaborated to the Inquirer after the match. The Asian Football season has yet to start, and with both teams not too busy with pre-season preparations, rust and fatigue in a demanding affair were evident.

Come extra time, Ceres-Negros took the initiative when Stephan Schröck’s deflected effort went past the helpless Thiha Si Thu just three minutes into the first half.

Nonetheless, the hosts refused to go down without a fight, and their resilience was rewarded later in the opening half. Substitute Patrick Asare found the back of the net to restore parity in Yangon.

Another 15 minutes of goalless action took place in the second half as both teams looked more cautious, perhaps with the collective aim of avoiding a costly error or two. Among all the chances, Schröck’s in the 114th minute may have proved to be the closest to changing the scores, as his attempt shaved the post.

Shan United took to the spot first, where Asare made his penalty attempt count. Nay Lin Tun also made his, but not before teammate Chizoba smashed his attempt over Toni Doblas’ goal.

While the hosts squandered a shot, the visitors remained calm in front of a hostile Myanmar crowd. De Murga, Schröck and Mike Ott nailed their turns, with Marañon also not missing a vital kick from 12 yards.

It set up William Biassi Nyakwe, the man credited with the own goal when he deflected Schröck’s opener, with the chance to prolong his team’s campaign in the AFC Champions League. Unfortunately for him, he couldn’t atone for his earlier mistake, as his attempt soared high and wide — much to the delight of the visiting team from Bacolod, the Philippines.

The reward for Ceres-Negros is a trip to Queensland, Australia, where they will seek to do one better than compatriots Global-Cebu. The 2016 Philippine champions also played against the Brisbane Roar, who dealt them a staggering 6-0 hammering this time last year. The match will be held at the Suncorp Stadium on January 23.

As for Shan United, a spot in the AFC Cup Group Stage awaits them and they may not have seen the last of Ceres-Negros just yet. If the Negrenses lose to either Brisbane Roar or Tianjin Quanjian, they will be reacquainted with the Burmese champions in Group F.

Continue Reading


Abu Tratter plans to work his way to 2023 by continuing to do ‘the dirty work’



Abu Tratter may have missed the jersey-giving ceremony that the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas held for the 23 for 2023 cadets last Monday but he made sure to help out when the current batch needed him the most.

After helping the Marinerong Pilipino Skippers win the Sinulog Cup in Cebu a week ago, the 6-foot-7 Filipino-American did not hesitate to heed Gilas’ call, as they were undermanned for their second session in preparation for the 2019 FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers.

“I think it’s just an honor to put on this jersey, to be able to represent our country, to possibly represent our country in the future. It’s an honor,” shared the Laguna-native.

The 25-year old, who just celebrated his birthday last January 9, admitted that he was in awe of the talent inside the Meralco Gym. Like a fan, he wanted to take a few photo ops with the senior team’s Gabe Norwood and June Mar Fajardo.

“Actually, at first I was just shocked to see June Mar and Gabe, just to be able to be in the midst of them,” gushed the former DLSU Green Archer, who will suit-up for Marinerong Pilipino in the D-League. “I even asked them for a picture, and hopefully they’ll still give me one.

“It’s just humbling, definitely.”

However, the work has only began for Tratter. With five years to go until the 2023 FIBA World Cup, the two-time UAAP champion plans to continue to do what he does best — be the same scrapper that he is and hopefully catch the eye of Gilas’ brass.

“I think just doing the dirty work, of course. Giving whatever the team needs, rebound or any steals, any thing a dirty player would need to pick up on,” he said.

“That’s how it is, garbage into gold. Get anything, sweep up anything and try to put it back.”

Moreover, he will continue answering the call when Gilas needs him, as he himself is learning a lot from being surrounded by the country’s topflight cagers.

“Whenever I can. I want to be able to absorb all the information coming from here and hopefully apply it in the D-League and hopefully apply it on future practices, future games.”

Continue Reading

2018 FIBA 3X3 World Cup

Terrence Romeo invited to join Pilipinas 3×3 for World Cup



Stronger than ever

Scoring sensation Terrence Romeo has been invited by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas to join the Philippine team in the upcoming FIBA 3X3 World Cup, according to Philippine Star columnist Quinito Henson.

Romeo, who is currently out due to a right knee injury, has been in rehabilitation and is expected to miss the entire Philippine Cup campaign of the Globalport Batang Pier and the second window of the 2019 FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers.

“Baka sa second conference na ko makabalik kasi talagang gusto ko malakas ako pagbalik ko,” the 25-year-old shared during Chooks-to-Go Live last January 2.

SBP Executive Director Sonny Barrios personally met with the 6-foot guard, inviting him to be part of the Philippine team.

Romeo has plenty of 3×3 basketball experience under his belt.

Back in 2014, Romeo was part of the Manila West 3×3 team during the Manila Masters. He was adjudged as the tournament Most Valuable Player.

The 2018 3X3 World Cup will take place from June 8-12 at the Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan.

Continue Reading


Red Spikers extinguish Blazers for second win



Shaking off a forgettable outing against the Perpetual Help Altas last January 11, the San Beda College Red Spikers vented their ire on defending champions College of Saint Benilde Blazers in four sets, 25-15, 25-16, 23-25, 26-24, and claimed their second win of the season, Friday afternoon at the FilOil Flying V Centre.

“Sabi ng coaches kalimutan na yung talo,” shared captain Lorenze Santos of what transpired after that match.

So, in this game, the San Beda team poured on what they worked hard for to regain momentum. “Binuhos po namin lahat ng ginawa namin sa training [ngayon].”

After tight starts in all the first two sets, the Mendiola-based side pulled away to register the seemingly insurmountable 2-0 lead.

Nonetheless, summoning the heart of a champion and led by seniors Isaah Arda and Jethro Orian, the reigning champions pulled off gritty runs to snag the third set and making a tussle of the fourth.

Ultimately, Adrian Viray virtually ended the match with a vicious serve, which the Blazers failed to convert.

The prolific outside hitter finished with 17 points, 11 coming from attacks and five off blocks. Former skipper Mark Encino also registered 17 markers.

The Red Spikers (2-1) will face the Mapua University, also at 2-1, on Friday, January 19.

Orian was such a presence at the net, ending up with 20 points for the Taft-based squad.

The defending champions Blazers (2-1) will try to bounce back later that day against San Sebastian College (0-3).

The Scores:

SBC 3 – Viray 17, Enciso 17, Santos 11, Patenio 7, Amagan 7, Desuyo 3, Zabala 0, Genobaten 0, Manliclic 0, Casin L.

CSB 1 – Orian 20, Arda 18, Bacani 6, Basilan 4, Bautista 4, Magsino 2, Martinez 0, Garcia 0, San Miguel 0, Saldavia 0, Dy L.

Continue Reading