Connect with us
[adinserter block="13"] [adinserter block="3"]

Global withstand second half Pahang pressure to collect a valuable point



The Philippine champions, Global FC frustrated Pahang FA to end the match the same way it started at 0-0 at the Darul Makmur Stadium in Kuantan, Malaysia earlier tonight. Junjun Badelic stood firm at goal to keep the Malaysians from celebrating a win in their first home game in this season’s competition.

Straight from kickoff, Global attempted to catch the opposing defense unaware. Just inside the opening minute, Mark Hartmann crossed the ball into the Pahang box, but no blue shirts got to it first. The home side, then, started to make Global defend, albeit routinely, as two crosses were unable to find its intended targets. Daisuke Sato’s ability to win balls with his pace earned the Filipinos a free kick. Hartmann’s delivery caused problems inside the Pahang penalty area, even striking the woodwork before getting cleared.

The Malaysian champions, afterwards, had a quick succession of chances. Fauzi Roslan was denied twice by Junjun Badelic, while Azidan saw his shot deflected away. Gopinathan Ramichandra, scorer of the winning goal in Myanmar, also had a saved chance at the 18th minute. Not to be outdone, the Filipinos created two chances after the midway point of the first half. Hartmann fired a volley wide, while Khairul Azhan Khalid easily collected Dennis Villanueva’s ambitious attempt from distance.

The reigning Malaysian league and cup champions exchanged opportunities with the visitors. Hafiz Kamal and Gopi failed to make the most out of their chances, while Hartmann’s shot inside the Pahang area went straight to Azhan. In fact, Global almost took the lead when Paolo Salenga drifted away from his marker to set up Hartmann, only for the Fil-Brit playmaker to send his shot a few inches over the bar. Teams entered halftime scoreless.

After the break, the home team asserted dominance, bombarding Global with numerous attacking sequences. Fullbacks, Sato and Jerry Barbaso marshalled the flanks, while the duo of Raul Martinez and Amani Aguinaldo made it difficult for Pahang’s players to launch an easy shot. Nine minutes after the restart, Azidan Sarudin’s free kick located Hafiz, who could not accurately guide the ball into the net with his ball.

His teammates, Azam Abdul Azih and Shahrizan Salleh, also had clean looks moments later on, but were also unable to hit the target. Twenty minutes before time, Fauzi sprinted to gather the ball by beating Global’s offside trap. He was able to get to it, but did not get to slow down in time to masterfully strike the ball past Badelic. Perhaps, the biggest chance of the game came at the 78th minute. Substitute, Dickson Nwakaeme saw Gopi wide open, but there were no repetition of his heroic feat last fortnight after he smashed his shot off the mark. The Nigerian was inserted to open space in the attacking third, but Zainal Abidin Hassan’s plan backfired as the forward, who scored twice in Myanmar, gave away possession by fouling most of the time.

On the other side, Hartmann and Richard Talaroc had rare opportunities to score, which did not have the right mix of power and accuracy to hear Azhan. Hafiz tried his luck from long range with four minutes to go while Azam and Saiful Nizam Miswan wasted their tries in winning the match as neither forced a save from Badelic. The night could have gone well for Global, but Aguinaldo was shown a second yellow card for an alleged time wasting move in the last minute of stoppage time. With the sending off, Aguinaldo will miss the group stage match against Yadanarbon.

Global FC now move to third place with a point earned from the stalemate. South China defeated Yadanarbon in Hong Kong to seize control of Group G. The Burmese side, now at the bottom having lost their two games in the tournament, will host the Filipinos next week.

Click to comment


Marc Pingris wants Rafi Reavis to break Robert Jaworski’s record



Marc Pingris was all praises for veteran Rafi Reavis Saturday night, as the 40-year-old center made his presence felt in the Magnolia Hotshots’ 97-91 victory — their third straight win — over Phoenix Fuel Masters at the Cuneta Astrodome.

The six-foot-nine Reavis finished with 11 points, 11 rebounds, and three blocks — a performance perfectly punctuated by a follow-up of a Paul Lee miss with 12.5 seconds left to play that knocked out the Fuel Masters for good.

“Papasalamat ako kay Rafi na talagang kababalik lang niya pero binigay niya talaga lahat,” said Pingris after the bout, as Saturday night was just Reavis’ second outing in the 2018 Philippine Cup after recovering from a hip injury.

“Nag-usap nga kami kanina e, hindi pa siya 100 percent. So bukas, ang sabi niya babalik daw siya sa gym dahil gusto niya ibalik yung lakas ng legs dahil wala pa daw,” added the 36-year-old, who also suffered a hip injury last season.

Reavis has been playing in the league for 16 years. Seeing the work he has put in, Pingris, who finished the game with 17 rebounds, four assists, four points and two blocks, believes that the 10-time PBA champion can play for 10 more years — at least.

“You know naman Rafi eh, katulad ko rin yan eh – rebound and depensa. At tsaka sobrang vocal siya sa team eh,” beamed Pingris, who himself is a 14-year veteran. “Walang siyang inaano, talagang sinasabihan niya kung sino yung mga nagmi-mistake, kung paano kami mag-adjust, so nakikinig naman lahat sa kanya.

“Talagang nandun yung respeto namin kay Rafi.”

And if Reavis stays healthy for the next decade, Pingris wants Reavis to exceed Jaworki’s 958 games played — third most all time.

“Nasa kanya yun, basta kaya mo ba eh. As a player, kung masipag ka naman at may disiplina sa sarili mo, kaya niya yun.”

Still, Reavis has a lot of catching up to do.

Continue Reading


Altas surge to fifth straight win, slam Heavy Bombers



Pulling double-digit scoring outings from three spikers, the University of Perpetual Help System DALTA Altas remained unbeaten in NCAA Season 93 after a straight-set triumph over thr Jose Rizal University Heavy Bombers, 25-17, 25-16, 25-20, at the FilOil Flying V Centre.

Middle blocker Ronniel Rosales topped the Altas with 13 points off 10 attacks and three blocks. Team captain Rey Taneo and Joebert Almodiel added 12 markers apiece.

The Altas dominated every scoring category, recording 44 attacks to JRU’s 26, five blocks to the Bombers’ zero, and three aces to JRU’s one.

Breezing through the first half of the season, Altas head coach Sammy Acaylar lauded his team’s consistency and hoped they continue getting better as they aim for a championship.

“So far, masasabi kong maganda ang nilalaro ng mga bata. Consistent naman ang mga galaw nila and focused sila sa mga laban,” said Acaylar.

“Pero alam nilang may ibubuga pa sila. We still need to get better and reach the championship level. Kailangan hindi mawala ‘yung ganito naming killer instinct,” the decorated mentor added.

The Altas take on a major test on Tuesday at the FilOil Flying V Centre when they face fellow undefeated squad Arellano Chiefs (4-0).

Wenjo Lahaylahay led the Bombers with 10 points while captain Patrick Rabaja managed seven.

JRU (0-5) limps into their Wednesday showdown against defending champs College of Saint Benilde (3-1).

The Scores

UPHSD (3) – Rosales 13, Almodiel 12, Taneo R. 12, Muhali 7, Ramos 5, Atentar 1, Catipay 1, Salo 1, Bation 0, Solamilo 0, Taneo S. 0, Kalingking (L)

JRU (0) – Lahaylahay 10, Rabaja 7, Sulivas 6, Salazar 4, Cebrero 1, Soriano 1, Cruz 0, Ferwelo 0, Defensor (L), Flor (L)

Continue Reading

Mixed Martial Arts

Rene Catalan continues rampage with TKO win



Rene Catalan continues to turn critics into believers

Filipino fighter Rene Catalan made his sixth appearance inside the ONE Championship cage at ONE: Kings of Courage, held at the Jakarta Convention Center in Indonesia, Saturday evening. He faced 21-year-old Chinese athlete Peng Xue Wen in the opening main card bout, and leaned on his elite wushu skills to stop the young star at the 4:22 mark of the second round.

The victory improves Catalan’s record to 4-2 (1 NC), extends his winning streak to four, and gives him the first TKO stoppage of his martial arts career, as he bids to climb the strawweight ladder in search of the ONE Strawweight World Championship.

“The Challenger” came out in the southpaw stance to open the bout, throwing big hooks and a head kick that narrowly missed as he established the center of the cage from the start of the contest.

The Filipino landed a host of powerful strikes, including a perfectly-placed uppercut and a melee of punishing leg kicks, but Peng’s conditioning and composure kept him in the match as he looked to stand and trade with the man 18 years his elder.

Catalan picked up where he left off when the bout resumed in the second round, this time operating out of the orthodox stance, landing more leg kicks and continuing to deny Peng any space to work.

Despite his dominance on the feet, there was a brief moment of concern for the Filipino on the mat when he jumped into the Chinese wrestler’s guard mid-way through the second round, and immediately found himself in a triangle choke. But the Filipino kept his composure and managed to work himself free.

Once the fighters returned to their feet, Catalan poured on the pressure in search of a finish, and he got it with just 38 seconds remaining in the stanza.

“The Challenger” scored big with a liver shot, then unloaded a fierce flurry of punches that forced Peng onto his back foot. Another shot forced Peng to the mat, where a salvo of ground and pound from Catalan eventually forced the TKO stoppage as referee Olivier Coste stepped in to halt the contest.

Photo, story, and video from ONE Championship

Continue Reading


Gelo Alolino regrets Phoenix’s failure to close out Hotshots



Photo by PBA Images

Gelo Alolino had his best game for the Phoenix Fuel Masters on Saturday night at the Cuneta Astrodome with 19 points, eclipsing his previous career-high of 16 markers which he made last May 21, 2017 in a loss to the Mahindra Floodbuster.

But his achievement won’t be too memorable, as it went for naught following a 91-97 defeat at the hands of Paul Lee and the Magnolia Hotshots, who have now collected their third straight victory.

For the second overall pick in the regular 2016 Rookie Draft, it was all because of their failure to sustain momentum up until the game’s final buzzer.

“Sayang, nandun na. We felt na sa amin na nung dulo kaso lang ganun talaga,” rued the 24-year-old sophomore after the match, where he shot an excellent 7-of-10 from the floor.

“Breaks of the game napunta sa kabila.”

Phoenix were in contention all throughout the match. In fact, they were even ahead, 89-84, with just three minutes left to play. But the Hotshots’ comeback skills were unleashed, leading to the narrow win.

“Siyempre kami lahat nasayangan. Maganda naman yung team effort talaga namin,” admitted the 6-foot floor general of their end-game collapse, which wasted their efforts in assists (21) and on defense, where they forced Magnolia to 21 turnovers.

“Kami as players talagang gusto namin bumawi coming from a loss last game sa Rain or Shine.

The Fuel Masters have now lost their second straight outing and have dropped to 2-3. And for Alolino, all they have to do is learn as much as they can from this loss, especially now that they are about to face the Barangay Ginebra San Miguel next.

“Yun nga. Medyo masakit para sa’min ‘to,” admitted the National University product.

“All we have to do is magviview ulit kami ng tape para makita kung saan kami mas pwede mag-improve as a team and bawat isa — including me.”

Continue Reading